close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How's the grass at Mogadore?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Zanini, May 11, 2004.

1. I'll be there tomorrow, and the last time I was there the grass was not bad at all. I've read a lot about folks using crank baits, and I'm concerned that I'll have a hard time using them if the grass has come up.

Also, anyone having luck on top yet? With the last few days of heat I plan to tie on a buzz bait.

Thanks all

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

it wasn't too bad. cranks will still work.

3. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Johnboy...where were you fishing? I went out Sunday eve and the grass or "kelp forests" are almost to the top of the water! I was on both sides of 43 and by the southern islands. The lake is shallower there, but cranks will not work in those places at all. I had to pull the weeds off my prop more than a dozen times easy. Every day that goes by, the worse they will get. Many areas were already matted on top.

4. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i was on the north end on a deeper shoreline. also alot of sand. maybe you should fish shallow cranks?

5. AndroDoug

I honestly would forget about the cranks. Plastic, flavored worms were killin em on Sun. Anything like Gulp, Yum, Powerbait, salt impregnated etc will work. Darker colors seem to work best, but Yum cotton candy "yum-dingers" (lite grayish, pink, purple) rigged wacky style killed them too. There are almost too many bass in that lake. So many that they remain small and few get real big. We musta caught 40-50 bass in 5 hours of fishing, with only 6 or 7 over 1.5 lbs. We did get one mini hawg at 3.5 though. Go small if you want to get numbers. Too big of bait will get a million tiny bites with no hooksets unless something with size bites it.

6. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

Duuuuude! Like man, the grass at Mogadore isn't bad but you can find much better grass in California. They, like, grow it there & stuff and like, wow man! It will get you soooo wasted! ;)

7. AndroDoug

Oh great, now we have another preacher on grass. Didn't we just have a reverent or something from Norton get arrested for selling/growing/smoking that stuff, from the parsonage?

If there happens to be a thread about little boys fishing related, you better not chime in with something UNRELATED!

8. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

fishing rapalas will work good this time of the year, i also hear shad raps were working and I am guessing lipless cranks too. But soft plastics is alwasy a safe bet. Bass are on the beds too.

9. The best time I've had fishing in a long time!

I started with a small white buzz while I was getting to my spots. Missed a strike, but getting action on a buzz at 5:15 is always a good sign.

Caught two undersized in a small cove on a small jerk bait.

Moved to the main lake shore and had a nice fish on a green ring style wacky worm, but lost him at the boat. My fault, nice fish. Another fish was fighting for the bait when the first one took it too. Another good sign.

Missed another real nice fish in a cove, and started to get frustrated.

I fished a lot of the grass going down to the causeway to the east which turned out to be a waste of time.

Put my first keeper in the boat at the causeway and missed two more there. Lost my wacky worm shortly after that and switched to a creature bait.

Landed a 19.5 inch monster on the south shore. The is the biggest bass I've caught in Ohio and made my night. It was about 8pm now and I started back to the ramp.

Put three more keepers into the boat in the next 40 minutes.

Overall I missed as many as I caught, but had a lot of action. I was surprised at the lack of top water action even as the sun went down. The surface temp was 75 degees.

Special thanks to all of you who gave me your advice. I really don't fish soft plastics, but having one rigged really paid off this time.

10. AndroDoug

Hey! Congrats on the good day! Glad to see you do well. Did you release, or keep the fish?

11. I never keep em. I fish with some buddies, and we all release em after we are done gloating. :)

12. AndroDoug

Sweet! How much did that 19.5 incher weigh? I have never caught over a 4 and some change pounder at Mog. They are in there as many guys nab em. At least you left him for me later this week!!! :D

13. I'm afraid I don't know. I only measured the length. This week I'm back to EBranch.. Blahhhhh. Some day I will figure that lake out.