close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Howdy Fellas! and a Question!

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by catfish_billy, Dec 9, 2004.

1. catfish_billy

catfish_billy Is it spring yet?

I was just sitting here dreaming of springtime cattin' and came across this site while doing some research into GMR flathead fishing.
    I look forward to being a part of this community, especially with the attention thats paid to CPR, "Catch, Photograph, and Release" by the catmen on here.
    Its sad everyone dont feel that way.

Heres my question. Ive been viewing some maps of the area some miles upstream from where the Stillwater empties into GMR. From what I can tell there is nothing really stopping flatheads from migrating up into the Stillwater to nest and spawn. Thing is I know of no one who fishes flatties in that river.
    Anyone ever hear of flatties being pulled out of there, Im really starting to see a possible sleeper here.
    Thanks guys,
    Bill :D

2. Welcome to OGF Billy. Lots of cat fishers here, and Lord knows, they can answer your questions better than me. I just wanted to let you know, beware of posts from someone named "catking". He's all talk.... :eek: :D :D

Just kidding.

Welcome and I hope you get your answer.

3. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Don't know, but I'd bet any water connected to the GMR would have flatties in it. Not from migrating either, they probably just live there. Find some deep holes & put some live bait out and you'll know soon enough. Be sure to have heavy tackle as you will have to fish near snaggy log jambs.

4. catfish_billy

catfish_billy Is it spring yet?

Thanks guys!
    As far as equipment goes Ive got that covered. Ive been a serious catter for quite awhile now, and just always chasing my next personal best.
    Ive noticed the lower portion of the Stillwater runs down Riverside Dr. in Dayton but from what I understand its not the safest place in the world to be fishing, especially at night. Im really excited that there is some untapped fishing potential for this river. Weve fished it alot for carp, and Ive seen alot of areas that look prime for flatties.
    Another question, I know you can put canoes in the Stillwater, but what about other boats? Lets say a 16' Tracker 15hp? I need to check into that, it would be an easier way to scout it for holes.
    Once again thanks!
    Bill
    www.bigcatdiaries.com

5. Billy, Unfortunately, I do not believe there are very many, if any flatheads that far up the GMR. The problem is with all the Dams on the GMR, all are impeding upstream migration and evey dam limits how many your likely to find in a stretch. The dams in Middletown stop most fish but many have been lifted above the dams there and now that the dam at Franklin has been washed out, that allows decent access into the tailwater below the Dam at Chataqua, now I heard many years ago from a diehard cat finatic that for years, he caught them and stocked this pool(Miamisburg) with flatties which is surely where part of the WC tailwater fishery comes from. Now there are 4 dams from here to the mouth of the stillwater, a 12 fter,at WC, a 9 ft er at Tate Station,and 2- 8 fters Art Museum and Steele dam and all would make it very hard to get over even in the highest of water flows. That being said, the channels are world class through this area and even up into the stillwater but I never heard of any flatties being caught up around the stillwater, possibly a stray or two but Im not familliar with any.

As far as boats go, ramps will be a problem. other then that, a jon boat with a trolling motor is about as big as boat as youll want on the stillwater. Only 1 real ramp I know of and sometimes its closed, sometimes it open, and thats the box 21 ramp at island park. ( PS Its a "Pickle Park" and a drug hangout so be careful talking to anyone down there)

I hope this helps and by all means, if you get into any flatties or even some nice channels up there, let us know!!

Salmonid
    From South Dayton

6. catking

catking Banned

We are very glad to have you on board catfish_billy !!! Thank You for registering . Keep an eye out for future outings involving cat & carpin guys, be nice to have you along........Don't listen to Big Daddy , he wears his fancy camo hat WAY to tight ;) ................ THE CATKING !!!

7. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Welcome catfish_billy! Hope you enjoy this site! I know I do. Also thanks for the link you posted! :)