Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I was gone, but havent heard much, are they still up in the creek? How did everybody do?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have they been in the creek thick yet this year? It seems like last year they never ran, so I’m a little confused as to when prime time is for them in there. I was up Anderson fork Friday night and we saw a guy with two. A bowfisherman told us that he saw a few schools of them in there and my buddy caught one. I got the big goose egg. The water was pretty high and the weather was pretty unstable so they may have been in there and just not biting?

·
Recovering Fishaholic
3,646 Posts
There used to be tons & tons of them in the early 90's. I think they got overfished. There would be 20-30 guys for about 4-6 weeks lined up on the dam keeping every fish they caught(usually 15-30 fish each) and in the creeks I'd hear stories of 60 fish stringers. I think all that put a dent into the spawn & they've not ever recovered.

·
Registered
133 Posts
That makes me so mad. Who eats 60 white bass? I could understand if they are perch or crappie, but you can't even freeze white bass. If you don't eat them fresh they taste like crap.

·
Recovering Fishaholic
3,646 Posts
They freeze up okay. You put the fillets in water & squeeze out all the air bubbles. Some of those guys told me they keep them up to a year. I remember warning some who were keeping tiny fish that they would kill off the population. They told me that would never happen, well, within 2-3years it did. :(

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is a sad effect of people keeping EVERYTHING they catch.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jack, thye will learn when we all are forced to use 5'6 ultra lights & fish for bluegills, becasue w/out more strict C&R restrictions, soon all that we'll have will be the bluegills.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well come to think of it we may still have the GAR & SHEEPHEAD.
'Nothin comes close as being fun as a night of SHEEPHEADIN right?

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey DRZ, whats up? Good to see ya

1 - 11 of 11 Posts