Ohio Game Fishing banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is that your situation?
Yes. Was having problems for a while. An xray technician made me stay after X-rays because she thought my colon was about to rupture. Radiologist said it was normal. A few weeks later I was in the OR in a different hospital having emergency surgery on a Sunday evening to remove my colon. The surgeon said there was definitely something seriously wrong he would normally just go in with a camera to find the location of the problem and fix it. He said he thought that I was beyond that point and that I should be opened up to see everything going on. I agreed. Afterward he said that he left the last 18” in so I didn’t have to have a bag. My colon was 3 times the size it should be and basically not functioning. He said to expect diarrhea the rest of my life but it could improve if my small intestines started working like a colon. My scar goes from my rib cage to the bottom of my abdomen.
Probably more than you wanted to know but I wanted people to know to get another opinion if things don’t seem right and that colon removal does not mean a colostomy.
I had an emergency Tracheostomy and emergency colon removal about two weeks apart completely unrelated causes.

·
The end is near
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Yes. Was having problems for a while. An xray technician made me stay after X-rays because she thought my colon was about to rupture. Radiologist said it was normal. A few weeks later I was in the OR in a different hospital having emergency surgery on a Sunday evening to remove my colon. The surgeon said there was definitely something seriously wrong he would normally just go in with a camera to find the location of the problem and fix it. He said he thought that I was beyond that point and that I should be opened up to see everything going on. I agreed. Afterward he said that he left the last 18” in so I didn’t have to have a bag. My colon was 3 times the size it should be and basically not functioning. He said to expect diarrhea the rest of my life but it could improve if my small intestines started working like a colon. My scar goes from my rib cage to the bottom of my abdomen.
Probably more than you wanted to know but I wanted people to know to get another opinion if things don’t seem right and that colon removal does not mean a colostomy.
I had an emergency Tracheostomy and emergency colon removal about two weeks apart completely unrelated causes.
I'm so sorry to hear about that. Did you have regular colonoscopies?
When my mom was 64, her colon actually ruptured from Stage 4 cancer. Because she was taking steriods for arthritis, her body couldn't fight the infection and she passed 2 weeks after the initial rupture.
Den942, I will pray for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about that. Did you have regular colonoscopies?
When my mom was 64, her colon actually ruptured from Stage 4 cancer. Because she was taking steriods for arthritis, her body couldn't fight the infection and she passed 2 weeks after the initial rupture.
Den942, I will pray for you.
I have had regular colonoscopies for years. They removed polyps every time. He said before the surgery he didn’t see any indication of cancer and they did biopsies after the surgery and they were negative.
It is likely that a majority of my colon malfunction was due to pain medications. I have had chronic back pain for 50 years. Sometimes I couldn’t do without heavy duty pain meds. They can cause the colon to slow down or even stop working. Pain meds and trying to self medicate the colon problems didn’t help. I tried doing what I figured the doctor would tell me to do. It kind of snuck up on me. By the time I realized I was in big trouble, it was too late…
My surgeon was Dr. Daniel Taylor, MD in Troy, Ohio. He absolutely made sure you understood the problem, any possible complications, and had no questions for him. He even called me at home after I was released to see how I was doing. I highly recommend him. He reminded me several times post surgery that it would take time to heal up. He said you’ve had a major upset to your whole body and your body is in shock, let it take time to adjust…

·
The end is near
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I have had regular colonoscopies for years. They removed polyps every time. He said before the surgery he didn’t see any indication of cancer and they did biopsies after the surgery and they were negative.
It is likely that a majority of my colon malfunction was due to pain medications. I have had chronic back pain for 50 years. Sometimes I couldn’t do without heavy duty pain meds. They can cause the colon to slow down or even stop working. Pain meds and trying to self medicate the colon problems didn’t help. I tried doing what I figured the doctor would tell me to do. It kind of snuck up on me. By the time I realized I was in big trouble, it was too late…
My surgeon was Dr. Daniel Taylor, MD in Troy, Ohio. He absolutely made sure you understood the problem, any possible complications, and had no questions for him. He even called me at home after I was released to see how I was doing. I highly recommend him. He reminded me several times post surgery that it would take time to heal up. He said you’ve had a major upset to your whole body and your body is in shock, let it take time to adjust…
I have never heard of a medical condition like yours. I had no idea meds could mess with your colon in that manner. I assume you were taking narcotics and no simply taking tylenol.

·
Registered
772 Posts
that's how I get model/serial numbers fro engine parts, don't need a mirror and transcribe backwards

Reactions: den942 and Lazy 8

·
Registered
87 Posts
that's how I get model/serial numbers fro engine parts, don't need a mirror and transcribe backwards
I’ve use a mirror and camera to get numbers. Then I mirror image the picture so the numbers aren’t backward….
You had to be bad off to be taking those. The only time I took those was after a procedure like my knees or shoulder or cancer treatments. Not on a regular basis.
I have six lumbar vertebrae instead of five. I have twisting scoliosis, stenosis, Spondylosis, arthritis, pinched nerve roots, and a few things I’m forgetting. Four rods and sixteen screws keep it somewhat stabilized. I have almost no feeling below my knees except pain. I also have four vertebrae in my neck fused after two surgeries because my spinal cord was being pinched two places. None of it is from an accident or injury. My right side was paralyzed at age 3 months and the right side muscles are all weaker than the left from atrophy in my upper left hemisphere of my brain. I call myself a fairly healthy physical disaster.
My first back surgery of fourteen was in’72. I got by pretty good from about 1978 to 2014, then things went downhill pretty bad after a botched back surgery. I worked in Engineering designing special purpose machinery from 1978-1993. Then no one would hire me unless I wavered my insurance coverage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have never heard of a medical condition like yours. I had no idea meds could mess with your colon in that manner. I assume you were taking narcotics and no simply taking tylenol.
Diverticulitis can cause problems similar to that. Had a foot of my colon removed and had to wear a colostomy bag for three months. It's like having two a**holes, one functional and one not. You have to watch what you eat and then get to watch what you ate. No fun. Anyway after three months they sewed me back together and now I have a hernia to remind me of the surgery. It, the diverticulitis, was misdiagnosed as well. Life goes on.

·
The end is near
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I’ve use a mirror and camera to get numbers. Then I mirror image the picture so the numbers aren’t backward….

I have six lumbar vertebrae instead of five. I have twisting scoliosis, stenosis, Spondylosis, arthritis, pinched nerve roots, and a few things I’m forgetting. Four rods and sixteen screws keep it somewhat stabilized. I have almost no feeling below my knees except pain. I also have four vertebrae in my neck fused after two surgeries because my spinal cord was being pinched two places. None of it is from an accident or injury. My right side was paralyzed at age 3 months and the right side muscles are all weaker than the left from atrophy in my upper left hemisphere of my brain. I call myself a fairly healthy physical disaster.
My first back surgery of fourteen was in’72. I got by pretty good from about 1978 to 2014, then things went downhill pretty bad after a botched back surgery. I worked in Engineering designing special purpose machinery from 1978-1993. Then no one would hire me unless I wavered my insurance coverage.
I thought I had it bad! I didn't know one person could suffer from so many different ailments. Except for side affects from chemo and radiation, my spine kicks out 50 degrees in my lower spine. It's constant pain but it fluctuates if I've lifted something I shouldn't of.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I thought I had it bad! I didn't know one person could suffer from so many different ailments. Except for side affects from chemo and radiation, my spine kicks out 50 degrees in my lower spine. It's constant pain but it fluctuates if I've lifted something I shouldn't of.
My biggest problem lately is Opticrectalitis. That happens when the optic nerve and rectal nerve gets crossed and you get a shitty outlook on life…

·
The end is near
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 · (Edited)
My biggest problem lately is Opticrectalitis. That happens when the optic nerve and rectal nerve gets crossed and you get a shitty outlook on life…
lol! I always wanted to call off work due to anal glaucoma. Basically you tell your boss, yea, I just don't see my arse coming to work today.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My goodness you guys define the word "TOUGH".
I hate taking those heavy duty pain killers, ok for first couple days than the constipation sets in or the morphine headaches but than I'm just a novice when it comes to health issues.
You guys are strong !!!

·
The end is near
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Yeah, the pain from shoulder surgery wasn't near as bad as the constipation from the pain killers. Threw them to the side and hit the Advil. Why would anyone take them as a recreational drug?
I'm with you all. Side affects made them not worth it for me. Before my first knee replacement, a friend who had been thru it before suggested I start Miralax a few days before the procedure. She was right.

·
Registered
772 Posts
last prostate biopsy they had me out not even fifteen minutes. never took a decent dump for two weeks, even with the senna and docusate. never realized how much of a joy a good poop is!

·
The end is near
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
last prostate biopsy they had me out not even fifteen minutes. never took a decent dump for two weeks, even with the senna and docusate. never realized how much of a joy a good poop is!
Yea, I miss my morning constitutional. I'm definitely not regular due to being mainly on a liquid diet. I've gone from daily to once every 3 to 5 days.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts