How would you setup?

Discussion in 'Bucks and Does' started by gpb1111, Oct 28, 2008.

1. If you were offered to hunt prime hunting land for one day and were not allowed to scout it at all, where would you setup a stand? At the field edge? Deep in the woods? 20 yards into the woods? What do you think?

2. MSN maps birds eye, google maps, map quest, USGS topo maps, take all this and look for likely travel routes, sheltered feeding areas, water sources. Not knowing anything else I would probably set up 20 or 30 yds inside the woodline near the best corner of the field for the given wind. but I am not the best, perhaps one of the more accomplished hunters here have some better ideas.

3. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

I'd look for prime bedding areas near a current food source and set up between the two. Taking wind direction into consideration and looking for funnel areas would be my two top priorities. I'm not an expert though.

4. I agree, I would figure out where they are feeding at night and then try to figure out where they are bedding. I would then set up within 50 yards of their bedding area. Set up before morning and wait for them to make their way from the fields to their beds.

Oh yeah, you need to find a way to sneak in from the opposite direction of the fields they are feeding in so you don't spook them.

5. So, most of you would hunt the bedding area over the feeding and watering areas? What if the property didn't have bedding areas but, it had decent feeding and watering areas? Would you setup in the woods or at the field edge?

6. For a morning hunt, you will spook any deer in the field when you set up in the morning. The farm I hunt, we know the field that the deer usually feed in during the night. We always enter the woods from a road on the backside of the property. Then set up around the bedding areas in the woods and just wait for them to make their way into the woods. It usually takes about 30 minutes for them to show up, mostly Does though. For an evening hunt, I would set up on the edge of a field.

7. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

Points and Corners are the best possible places in any woods IMO

8. i dont think settin up by watering holes is that great. cuz ohio dont get that dry and its not been hot. id look for acorns and find some good intersecting trails by them in the mornin then the evening find the best trails comming into the fields and back off them about 20 yards into the woods.

9. Seaturd

Seaturd Catcher of Fish

Funnels man, funnels. Look for areas that will naturally funnel the deer from one area to another. They can be as simple as a thin strip of woods connecting two larger woods, a swale exiting a field into a woods, etc. Deer are just like fish, they follow structure when going from one place to another.

10. Definately funnels... and I may skip the first 2 hours of light (since you don't know the property) Your better off not wandering in making noice and spooking them. I would go in around 8:00 and find the best funnel or down wind location of a doe hang out... You probably don't know where the does are... so, I would set up in some type of travel corridor (maybe between a field edge and a creek) But you gotta be down wind of their expected travel routes or forget it! Also, don't underestimate any areas where there is just simply high weeds/brambles/samplings/briars/ etc... I do quite well close to these areas! :) Good Luck!