Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this idea from another fishing forum. here's how it works: Someone posts a pic of a fishing spot, gives a few detail about the conditions and types of fish present in that particular spot. Then people can respond with how they would go about trying to catch fish there. After 24 hours someone else can then post a "fishing spot" of their own.

I think this is a great way to learn how other people might approach a particular situation and maybe help some of us expand our techniques or maybe just to come up with some new ideas for fishing in certain situations.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'll get it started...

This is a small muddy creek with very little current that dumps into a large lake. There are both small and largemouth bass, pike in the spring and a large population of channels cats and carp. Water depth drops to about 12-14 feet in the middle of the channel

·
Registered
505 Posts
I can't tell how quickly it drops of but I'm definitely hitting the rip-rap along the shore for the smallmouth and pike. If it is a gradual decline im throwing either a jointed rapala or an x-rap, If it drops off quickly either a chrome/blue lipless crank or a spinnerbait. With the muddy conditions I would look to produce a lot of vibration in the water to help fish zero in on the bait.

Scott

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
thats a pretty cool idea yakfish...not sure how much participation you would get..but i"ll add my 2cents....I would definitely use black or dark green in that water color for the bass...if the current is pretty slow...i'd also rig up a creek chub under a slip bobber and float it along the bottom for cats

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd definitely fish a crank bait parallel to the bank and smack it off the rip rap and for cats fish cut shad on the bottom near the pylons.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would use a big brown tube for starters.

·
I jig therefore I am!
5,318 Posts
I'm a sucker for abutments and pylons. That riprap looks pretty tasty as well. I'd also try to drag the middle of the channel. Heavy enough jig, side arm as far down the middle as I could can drag and hop the jig back slowly.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Cool....... I like it. Ok ...... I am guessing the water isn't always that dirty. Muddied up because of recent heavy rains would be my guess. To fish the area in the picture, I'd probably throw a 3/8 oz. chartreuse and white tandem blade spinner bait with a #2 Colorado blade in front of a #7 Indiana blade, both in gold. I'd want something that thumps and puts out some flash, and that will stay up at slow speeds. For slack line presentation baits, I'd be using dark colors, and something that falls slow. I'd definitely be using a bait with a rattle in it. I wouldn't fish any deeper than 4' with that water color.

Actually if it's as I suspect, and the water isn't always that dirty, I'd be pretty disappointed if I pulled up and saw that water.

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
15,859 Posts
id wait till dark, grab the lanterns, some snacks, chicken livers, shrimp, nightcrawlers, a few beers and fish till daylight on the bottom from shore. I love fishing in the rocks, VERY relaxing.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Orange "glo" floating head jig tied 12" from end of line with just enough split shot weight at the end of the line to hold it in place on the bottom with a small leech hooked in the sucker. If it snags, pull it free and replace the sinkers and recast it...

·
here kitty kitty!
466 Posts
darker colored 1/2oz roadrunner maybe bigger depending on the current... bounce and hop it off the rocks and round the pylons... just off the bottom... parallel to the bank working my way out towards the middle ...

then as night time rolled in i may slip rig a good sized bobber and float it down around the pylons ...

and when night set in .... i'd pull up a chair and join ez bite and steal his beer...lol

·
Just practicing my cast
4,688 Posts
I would do a two plan attack #1 use a vibe or an x-rap, if no luck move on to plan#2 and use a swim bait as to hit all the possible zones with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
During low current sunny periods I would use a drop shot with a heavy sinker and place it in the 14 ft hole where it starts to rise. During heavier current I would use the same rig with higher bait in the eddy behind the pylon. Also try a swimbait against the current.

Dark colors for the dropshot and bright or pearl colors for the swimbait.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts