close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How unstable are canoes?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by flathunter, Jun 16, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Are they gonna tip over any time you shift in your seat, or lean a little over the edge?

2. It really depends on the canoe. The one I have is very stable and you can move around plenty, then again it depends on what you consider moving around a lot. You cant stand up a whole lot and jump around but you can shift yourself around when you need to and even stand up if need be as long as you are carefull. My canoe has great primary stability but not very good secondary stability. I'll try to exlpain this a little. Primary stability is how stable the canoe is before it starts to roll. Say you are sitting in the canoe and you rock back and forth if the canoe does not move much it has good primary stability. The secondary stability is how much it rolls until you go over. Some canoes are made that they rock really easy but get to a certain point and then stop before you roll over. Say you are sitting in a canoe and rock side to side and the canoe rolls very easy but will not roll all the way over. Does any of that make sense? Good primary stability will not roll much but once you start to roll you will more than likely go all the way over, good secondary stability will rock and roll very easy and will feel like you are going over but will most likely stop before you go all the way over.

If you want come up to my house and get my canoe next time you go out and see if you like it. I live right off 23 south of Circleville in Logan Elm Village so its pretty easy to find. Ive got the paddles and life jackets, every thing ya need. If you have a truck it fits really nice in the back or can be put on top of a car pretty easy. I have the rachet tie downs for it also you can use. Just let me know when you want it and you can use. If I'm not going to be there I can even leave it out front for ya.

3. I agree with twister

As long as you get the right canoe, they can be very stable. Make sure you get one that is both stable and comfortable; otherwise anything more than an hour or so becomes not so much fun.

4. Another thing is your own balance,at first most people go over alot :) After you get the hang of it they are very stable.Not too much diff then standing up in a boat while moving.

5. Hey Jack if you want to borrow one to try first let me know ;)

6. I've been going to the boundry waters every year since 91, so I've spent alot of time in canoes. I think, as long as you don't do anything crazy, they are very stable. I often (although it's not the brightest move) stood up to cast while in a conoe. We load 'em up with enough gear to live on for a week & have had them in white caps & rough water numberous time. Never flipped one. I will say that for a long day of fishing they can get a bit uncomfortable. If you get the canoe pick up a couple of the canoe seats (about $15 each), they at least make a long day a bit more comfortable. I would also recommend (depending on the type of water) a buterfly anchor - they are only about 1/2 pound but seem to hold a canoe pretty well.

7. Have had a canoe for 20 yrs +. With 4 boys I took it out in shallow Erie and said "see if you can sink this thing". They even tried filling with sand and it still stayed up.
    Lesson was "stay with the canoe if capsized." Will roll over and you can be dumped out easily.

Had a close call on Huron River during near flood stage. With low trees, about got sucked under. Kids life preservers would have locked them under the derbris.

8. Buy the newest Field & Stream...it has a good article on outfitting a canoe for fishing. I've already done about 75% of the additions that they mention. My tips:

1) Electric trolling motor. This is a must if lake fishing by yourself...especially if there is ANY wind. It also makes your canoe into the ultimate in stealth. Be cautious of weight though if you fish with a friend.

2) Fold-up anchor. Bought it from West Marine and it works great. Very small and very light. Under $10, too.

3) Don't buy the cheapest or the most expensive. Mine is a Old Town Guide 14'. Retail is $500, but you can find them at Dick's on sale for $400. Worth every penny. A little poor on primary stability, but great on secondary (large molded in full-length chines in the hull). I've never tipped it (knock on wood). At $400 I don't think twice about running it up on the bank. The three layer hull is very durable.

4) I keep all of my manditory safety gear in a large soft-sided cooler. It holds two life vests, my anchor, rope, whistle and flag. I also put my cell phone and wallet in a Ziplock and put it in the cooler...just in case.

5) With practice and technique, you (by yourself) can load a 75 pound canoe onto a car or SUV without much trouble.