close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how to winter store a boat

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by deerhunter, Sep 29, 2004.

1. im a first time boat owner need to no how to store it for the winter
    boat motor trailer ?

2. I'm no expert expert, but here's my routine. Keep in mind my motor is a 50HP and I can't really remove it and take it in the house for winter.

1. Take all fishing/boatoing equipment in the house (e.g. poles, tackle boxes, electronics, PFDs, Anchors, fire extinguishers, etc...)

2. Charge all batteries and take them inside to keep them from freezing

3. Sweep/wash carpet and hull, let dry in the sun

4. Stabil in the tank and top it off with fresh gas, top off 2 cycle oil tank too

5. Fog the motor (ruuning the motor to fog it after adding the stabil get the stabil/gas mixture in the carb(s) to help prevent varnish from building up)

6. Lower motor and drain any water left in the lower unit, remove drain plug and make sure there's no water in the bildge

7. Change lower unit oil, Pull prop and make sure no fishing line is wrapped around the prop shaft.

8. clean and repack wheel bearings on the trailer, Armor-All the tires.

9 remove my cover and get the boat shrink wrapped

10. Jack up the trailer and support it on jack stands to take the load off the tires

11. wait 'till spring ;)

Barry

3. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Great job Barry. Pretty well says it all.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

ditto.
    or do it my way.keep it ready at all times,cause you never know when you'll get the urge to fish :D
    this past winter i celebrated new years day in my boat on hoover catching saugeyes :cool:
    and again two days later.had to break a little crusty ice,but it was a great day :D