Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to trolling and need some help getting to the right speed. I have a 24v 70# powerdrive v2 and a 90 hp Mercury. At idle the 90 hp does about 2.7 on a calm day. I would like to troll cranks between 2 and 2.5.

I tried 40” drift socks off the bow eye and off the back and both made the boat very difficult to control.

I have not tried trolling in reverse as that does not sound fun, especially on choppy days. I do not have splash guards on the stern.

I found that I can slow by a tenth or two by dropping the trolling motor in and can drop an additional tenth or two by turning it sideways.

I am wondering if I could further slow the boat by running the trolling motor against the main motor? Would that damage anything at slow speeds?

Any other tips or suggestions are welcome but I am very interested in the possibility of setting the electric at a very slow speed against the main motor to slow things down by less than 1 mph.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Put a Easy troll plate on the motor or put a set of Nauticus smart tabs pro trollers on the boat. The easy troller folds down blocking the prop from pushing the boat as fast, it folds back up when you are operating at normal speed. The smart tabs go on the boats stern and create drag to slow the boat down, they also provide stern lift and prevent listing at cruising speed. With a easy troll plate you lose some control steering because the props blocked. I have the smart tabs and like them, installed them myself the instructions are clear enough for anyone to install.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
ditto on the smart tabs. On my old boat I took a 5 gallon bucket and cut 2" hole in the bottom and drug it behind the boat, you just need to work with making a harness to center it. A rope off each back cleat to a side done it for me. It may take a different size hole for yours though. I had a 19' Princecraft with a 140 HP I/O. I now have a tracker deep v with a 60 and I can idle at 2.2

·
Registered
799 Posts
just my .02cts worth, a 90hp was not made to troll. I,d think it would carb things up over time. best way to troll is a gas kicker.
I agree, it will use more fuel for sure too, but if you don't have the money for a kicker the two options I gave are the way to make it work so you can troll with that 90hp.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I run 2 5 gallon buckets. Took a while saw and sut like 2in hole in the middle of it. Cheap and works great.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great suggestions by all. I agree with bountyhunter that a kicker is the way to go but it will be another year or two before it is in the budget.

I think I will try the bucket idea as my drift socks are too much drag and make it impossible to steer.

I am still curious though if anyone has thoughts on running the trolling motor against the main motor at a very low speed to drop speed just a bit. I know lots of guys use their trolling motor with a kicker to provide steering and more precise speed control by using the troller in forward. I wonder about using it in reverse.

I think the only concern would be the stress on the trolling motor and it’s mounting. If I am going 2.7 forward and use the troller to slow me down by 1 mph, I think it would the the equivalent of 3.7 mph of stress on the unit. That seems reasonable to me. Anyone else?

Thanks to all for your help!

·
Registered
799 Posts
Great suggestions by all. I agree with bountyhunter that a kicker is the way to go but it will be another year or two before it is in the budget.

I think I will try the bucket idea as my drift socks are too much drag and make it impossible to steer.

I am still curious though if anyone has thoughts on running the trolling motor against the main motor at a very low speed to drop speed just a bit. I know lots of guys use their trolling motor with a kicker to provide steering and more precise speed control by using the troller in forward. I wonder about using it in reverse.

I think the only concern would be the stress on the trolling motor and it’s mounting. If I am going 2.7 forward and use the troller to slow me down by 1 mph, I think it would the the equivalent of 3.7 mph of stress on the unit. That seems reasonable to me. Anyone else?

Thanks to all for your help!
Just using a lot of battery juice if you are using it against the mains propulsion, at that point just use the trolling motor to troll forward without the main.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
I would look into Amish outfitters trolling bags. One on port and SB like someone had mentioned. This will allow you to the get the speeds you need while at the same time, the ability to bump up the throttle and not running it at idle all day. Good luck!

·
the Susan Lucci of OGF
16,056 Posts
I used buckets with holes in the bottom for years with my merc 150 -2 stroke, worked great but I did have to de-carb about 2x's a year, about every 10 trips she'd start running rough. you didn't say if it was a 2 or 4 stroke?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I have 2 - 30" bags and each have a 4" rope braided onto the bag and a loop at the other end. I attach them to the mid cleats. It absolutely slows my 90 to .5 at idol and needs adjusted to pull baits at 2.0 or better. The motor runs cooler and charges batteries better at a higher idol. In wind or rougher water they keep the boat planted and straight with one on each side. I use the trolling motor for auto pilot.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
My Merc is a 2005 90hp,with 2 bags from Erie Outfitters I can troll as slow as 1.50 to whatever speed I need for the day.The bags make you keep up your rpm to avoid carbon and loading up.Trolls GREAT without the added weight of a kicker on your transom.Run's smooth as silk.For a 2 stroke it's very good on fuel,2 day's of trolling(4-5 hrs) and 2 day's of run time (2 hrs)=7 gal. of fuel.Not as good as a 4 stroke but not bad enough to change motors.I use the Terrova for auto pilot and with hydraulic steering it's a pleasure without a kicker.No problems. IMHO

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
I use bags and they work great. get 2 28" trolling bags use cleats off the sides of the bow, not on the front. make sure you get trolling bags and not drift bags. tie the front of the bags to the side cleats with enough rope to let the bags back where the back of the bags can be tied off on your rear cleats. with the front and back tied off, only your speed will effect boat control.

I have a 21' glass boat with a 350 315hp Mercruiser motor. with 36" bags, I can run below 1.5 with the wind if I wanted to troll that slow. your not wanting to slow as much as I do as I have to so I think 28" bags would slow you down about 1.5 over not using them.

I have tried buckets without holes and with holes, the most I ever got was maybe .5 mph slower.

·
Banned
14,059 Posts
i have used most trolling plates at one time or another. the easy troller has been the best by far. i still have one bolted to my outdrive that I was using when I tried the trolling bags. the bags gave me better boat control than the plate did. so now I just use the bags. the bags should be back past midship and tied to the boat front and aft for them to work properly.

·
Harry
959 Posts
I’ve always used a trolling plate and never had any issues. Buckets and bags shave worked ok, but I prefer my plate. Have used it on a 170 I/o and now use on an old 55 hp

1 - 20 of 30 Posts