Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Eye Lander
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never run crankbaits deep in summer before but would like to give it a try. Probably off of Conneaut. I would like to try without buying anything new. Here's what I have in my tackle box:

Large dipsy divers
Trutrip 40s
Inline weights (2, 3, 4 and 5 ounces)

Deep husky jerks size 12
Shallow husky jerks size 14
Deep reef runners (800 series?)
Shallow thundersticks

What if any program can/should I run with what I have. I usually only run worm harnesses.

Thanks in advance.

John

·
Registered
152 Posts
Although the dipsey bite seems to be slow this year, you should be able to catch fish off of them. Last year we did real well using dipseys out of Conneaut. I shifted to running longer leads (8') behind them over the course of this season and have been getting better results. A four rod program of dipseys is pretty easy to run, going to 6 takes a bit more technique to keep lines from crossing. I run the 2 off the corners of my stern on 0 settings, then up the setting for each successive one to the outside. If you want your truetrips in the mix they would have to be the ones straight back off the stern since they are non-directional.
Behind the dipseys/TTs you can run your shallow cranks, your worm harnesses, spinners, or spoons if you have them. I wouldn't run your deep diving cranks, since they can exert a lot of downward force on the backside of your dipsey and actually make it run shallower. We primarily run spoons and stickbaits and have good success.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
This time of year I usually run wire line with dhj-12's or reef runner 800's. If you don't have wire, you'll need in line weights. You can either try 3-4 oz 6' in front of your divers (between the leader and braid) or 1-2 ounce 20' in front of your lure on a rubber band. Typically, I don't run deep diving cranks behind true trips or dipsy's, but you can run shallow cranks behind them like a reef runner 700 or a hj-10. As far as line out with the weights use your regular depth charts and for the weight 6' in front of the lure, figure 5' per ounce. For the weight 20' in front of the lure I think it's a third deeper than your crank will run at 1 ounce...but don't quote me on that one. Last weekend we were fishing down around 47-52' and doing pretty well. Good luck and let us know you do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Charter Captain
1,211 Posts
John,
anything with a shallow diver u can run on the dipseys or tt . if the 40's dont get u were u want to be add a 2 oz on the bottom side of the jet. deeps huskys and reefs run the 4 oz snaps 20ft up and do some math.. many ways to skin the cat u just need to put in some leg work on the numbers to get u were u wanna be. pick a calm day and pick your baits go in 40-50 ft of water with no hooks and watch for that bait to tap the bottom off the back corner of the boat. i came up with a good reef program this way. just takes time

·
Eye Lander
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably put a few out to start. What would you go with first? Reef runners, thundersticks, or husky jerks?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts