close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to make bass cover from PVC?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Fletch, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

I was reading some articles on making bass and crappie attractors/cover. I came across one article that mentioned using PVC pipe but it didn't go into specifics. They mentioned that different structures attract different species. I was wondering if anyone knew how to make these attractors or know of a post or article detailing how to make them.
    thanks!

2. ...doing a search I found the following photo (below) which consist of 2" PVC inserted into 3" PVC... When we made them for a local pond on a now closed campground which we can no longer fish :( they attracted every fish that was in the pond including bass, bluegills, crappie and even catfish...
    Ours were made at home then assembled at the pond using a little PVC glue, some sand & rocks for weight (not much needed) and 2 caps to cap off one leg on each side to which we added the weight material... then we simply let them sink from a boat, slowly letting the capped legs fill 1st with water, in an area that had diff ranges in depts...
    Ours were a tad longer then the ones in the photo (below) meaning longer not taller... Demensions were somehting like 4-5 feet long by 25-30 inches high...
    Our lures and jigs never once snagged these fish attractors made from PVC...

We tried many shapes and sizes with each having the same catch rate and concluded the above shape proved to be the most cost wise and efficient in attracting fish... I would not create a box shape that tended to not attract as many fish as the design below did...
    HAVE FUN

Attached Files:

3. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Where did you read that article atrkyhntr at?
    I'd like to read that whole thing and get a bigger copy of that picture.
    Thanks!

4. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Thanks for the info Clyde!

5. ......... ;) ..........

6. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Thanks for the info Bill! Good article.

Fletch

7. I did some research for about a year on using different materials to create structure for fish as well as the various functions of structure.

I would agree that a box does not serve too well for several reasons. Its right angles and uniform shape do not provide much surface area or a good angle for periphyton growth. The right angles also can be condusive to snagging.

Think three dimensionally. It should provide both vertical and horizontal coverage as well as surface area. I would also suggest using a variety of sizes too over just one size of pipe. This again increases surface area and structural complexity, while breaking up the uniformity of the cover.

When considering using PVC, I would suggest you roughly sand down all sides of the tubing. Smooth PVC while it can be conolonized by periphyton, is not the best surface because of the fact it is so smooth and uniform in texture. The jagged surface, and the great increase in the relative surface area that natural things such as wood provide, give a tremendous foothold for diverse periphyton to grow on.

8. Fletch

Fletch FishOn

Thanks for the info.