Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new to the whole jigging thing for walleye. I have tried to read everything i could on here about it but I still have a few questoins about the drift and all. Which way should one cast there jig? (with the drift or agianst it) Do people typically anchor down or drift the reefs? What is the deal with the all important mud line. I always hear people talk about it but how do you fish it? and why is is so important? How long does it typically take the lake to clear up once there is favorable winds/ no wind? For the jigs what are a good weight to start out with? and when do you increase weight (when the waves are bigger) How long does the spawing/ reef fishing last? Will the lake be fishable by thurs/friday of this week? Thanks for any info you guys have all been great and good luck.

·
761 Posts
I'll try and tackle a couple. If you have a decent drift, many times you can just let out enough line to get a 45 degree anglewith your line (not much when you are in 10-12 feet of water), and hop the jig off the bottom 8-12". Use a jig just heavy enough to maintain contact with the bottom. Stinger hook is a must. Do not anchor - most people drift, and if you do anchor, you are liable to get drifted into. Many times if there is a distinct mud line, the fish will be along it, but all this wind has things stirred up, so everything will be pretty stained. Visibility was not good Saturday, but we still did well. Good luck!

·
KrustyDawg
2,633 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to the whole jigging thing for walleye. I have tried to read everything i could on here about it but I still have a few questoins about the drift and all. Which way should one cast there jig? (with the drift or agianst it) Do people typically anchor down or drift the reefs? What is the deal with the all important mud line. I always hear people talk about it but how do you fish it? and why is is so important? How long does it typically take the lake to clear up once there is favorable winds/ no wind? For the jigs what are a good weight to start out with? and when do you increase weight (when the waves are bigger) How long does the spawing/ reef fishing last? Will the lake be fishable by thurs/friday of this week? Thanks for any info you guys have all been great and good luck.
Which way should one cast there jig? (with the drift or agianst it)
You don't really need to cast your jig, just drop it over the side of the boat let it hit the bottom, let out a few more feet of line and begin the jigging process. If you want to cast, cast a way from the drift to allow your jig time to sink to the bottom.

Do people typically anchor down or drift the reefs? This time of year there will be a lot of boats out there drifting so don't anchor or there will be a lot of issues with other boaters.

What is the deal with the all important mud line ?
There may not be a mudline this weekend, but guys like to fish the transition of mud to clearer water because eyes like to ambush prey by lying in wait in the murky water. The murky water will also warm up faster as the day progresses vs. the clear water. Trollers tend to target the mudline more than the jiggers.

How long does it typically take the lake to clear up once there is favorable winds/ no wind?
Usually within 2-3 days it will be fishable.

For the jigs what are a good weight to start out with? and when do you increase weight (when the waves are bigger) ?
The slower your drift the lighter weight you should use. As long as you are making contact with the bottom you will be in the strike zone.

How long does the spawing/ reef fishing last?
Depends on the water temp's but the reef bite is usually done by the first week in May or so.

Will the lake be fishable by thurs/friday of this week?
If we get the winds that are forecasted the reefs will definitely be fishable by this weekend. The water does not have to be clear to catch fish, I have had some of my best days jiggin' the reefs when the prop was not even visible.

I am by no means an expert, but these are my answers from my experiences in the past. I'm sure everyone will add to some of my answers with some more detail, please do. This weekend is going to be a blast ! Hope this helps.

·
The Original Hot Rod
6,732 Posts
The prefer method I like is what cw261 discribed...but if the bite is really on. vertical jigging as Krusty indicated can be the ticket. The latter method will work best from any side of the boat the former is excellent with the drift...the side into the wind. ;)

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
In my opinion,

Common weights of jigs are 3/8 1/2 and 5/8 oz. i would start with a 1/2 with a 1-2 ft chop. You increase your weight when you can't easily lower the rod and hit bottom with your jig in the middle of your retreive.

You can cast as well especially when the water warms up into the high 45-50 range. Ive done well casting straight out of the end of the boat letting the jig sink all the way to the bottom and begin a moderate retreive consisting of 6" to 12" "hops". It you cast perpendicular to the direction the boat it drifting you get a little bit of a "turn" like you would with an erie dearie.
Some people like to cast in front of where the boat is drifting to and this can be effective too. you need to reel faster to keep your bait just off of bottom. With this technique though Im not sure your bait covers as much water in each cast.
Some people will say you need to get totally vertical like you are ice fishing. Maybe this is ok when the water is in the low 30's but when its warmer you should cast and hop. This gets reaction bites like you won't beleive. Sometimes they just seem to slap at it thats why you must use a stinger that goes all the way to the back of the hair.

If your trying to fish vertical you need to tip your jigs with minnows. If your casting it dosent seem to make a difference.

By the way, don't just use jigs,
bladebaits work well too, fished in the same lift and drop fashion

·
761 Posts
I agree! I kind of said some of the same things, but Krusty really outdid himself on that one! Good job - now we just need to get out and try it!

Don't want to jinx us, but how about that marine forecast:
FRIDAY
NORTH WINDS UNDER 10 KNOTS BECOMING WEST. WAVES 2 FEET
OR LESS.

SATURDAY
SOUTHWEST WINDS UNDER 10 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.

SUNDAY
SOUTH WINDS UNDER 10 KNOTS. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,457 Posts
There is no trying it's just doing, lots of jiggin fish will be caught with ease this weekend, hit it early morning or late though there will be a billion boats out there.

·
Registered
625 Posts
To each his own. This year for me its been a vertical thing, even though I've only been out a few times. I usually cast straight downwind and really work it back fast. I think bottom contact is most important than jigging method. Its like the tip no tip deal, whatever works for you! I see a smackdown this weekend.

·
Still Deadly w/ The Net
1,900 Posts
Its called snap jigging, google it and read some articles. It's effective.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys for all the great tips, and Krusty your post was awesome. I hope I have a great weekend i will be out thursday, friday, and saturday. I will let you guys all know how I do and hope all of you have safe and fun weekend and cacth alot of fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts