close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How to hold a catfish?

Discussion in 'Catfish Discussion' started by CShaver8, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Hey,

After accidentally hauling in a 24" catfish out of my pond, and not knowing how to properly hold it, i am wondering how i should hold a catfish while i unhook it and get pictures. I know that there are spines somewhere, but i don't know where. Can you guys help me out please???

Thanks,

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

The bigger they are, the easier they are. I have problems with small cats. I was using a small bullcat a few weeks ago for bait & got a nice little treat.

3. Could i hold cats by the mouth, like I hold bass?

4. peon

peon account delete

the back fin and one on each side has a hard spike like poker in it.. splip your hands around them not to touch the very end

5. peon

peon account delete

these are the fins not to touch the end of.. you can touch the fins just not the ends
    [​IMG]

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller Baitkiller

:)

"Join in the pursuit"!

<><Baitkiller><>

7. Thanks guys. So could I lip it like a bass, or do I hold it from the belly?

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I think its much easier to lip a flatheas, but you may get chewed on a little as they have that real tough grissel, from what I hear you can feel it if they happen to clamp down, but the way I see if, if I get bruised up liek that its worth it, becasue I've gotten a nice flathead!

9. dip

dip dip

you can lip a channel in the corner of it's mouth with care (not recommended)..... you can clutch a flat by the lower lip.... and a blue will crunch your fingers like popcorn.

10. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I hold them all by the mouth, but use 4 fingers (if possible) so they don't have anything to pivot on.

In my personal opinion rankings for jaw strength would be like this: (1# being the strongest)

1. Bullheads
    2. Blue
    3. Channel
    4. Flathead

11. Alright guys. all I have in my pond are channels, I guess I lip them for now on. Are those whiskers harmful in any ways?

12. peon

peon account delete

no just the spots i showed in that pic.. its simple to hold cats without getting stuck.. im not a big catfisherman but i catch a good bit icefishing... i learned how to hold one by learning how not to hold one... :confused:

13. Man I must has "girly" hands. I lipped a channel about 6 #'s, or so, a week ago using my thumb like on a bass. It clamped down and shook real hard, almost drew blood. Had these little red and purple dots all over my thumb where he clamped down. First time (and last) that I have done that. I'll stick to grabbing them behind the spines or use gloves.

Mike

14. Thanks guys. We'll see which technique works best next time i pull in a whisker

15. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Me223, just remember not to use a single finger. Like I said before, don't give them something to pivot on and you'll have complete control :)

16. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

A good rap on the head of the fish with a hammer will make them quite calm when you pick them up:D

17. To Take A Picture I Put My Fingers Up His Gill Plate.