Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tranceducer board on the back of the boat was put on with silicone and popped off I think from the heat last week. I need to get the silicone off the painted alum boat. does anybody know of any products to get it off without taking the paint off?

Thanks,
Moke

·
Fishin-For-Fun
2,478 Posts
a product called Goo Be Gone works on just about anything. i would use that first to remove until the surface is clean of silicone. spray on and let it soak some first then work with fingernail or plastic scraper to peal off the silicone. as a final cleanup i would then use alcohol. i used this method to clean the state registration sticker residue from my alumacraft (painted hull) and it did not remove my paint. this is also the same way that i clean the silicone caulking from my shower at home before recaulking. so removes silicone but not paint.:)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I deal with caulk a lot because I do replacement windows try wd 40 it removes it on carpet don't ask me how I know but it does!!! so would not see why not your boat also, if you rub it it should just come off if it is a true 100 percent silicone product. also there is a product we use in spray form that is a bio degradable product I can get the name if you need it it is in my trailer pm so I do not forget I will check if I have some I live in north Olmsted let me know if the first two work Kenny

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
My tranceducer board on the back of the boat was put on with silicone and popped off I think from the heat last week. I need to get the silicone off the painted alum boat. does anybody know of any products to get it off without taking the paint off?

Thanks,
Moke
No screws just silicone holding it on? Is this common? Seems odd to me. All the ones that I have seen or installed have screws through the board into the transom.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I use a product called Lift off silicone and foam remover, and a plastic texture knife. Remove as much silicone as possible before applying. Its not going to just come right off, youll have to work at it, but it gets the job done. Apply several times between layers if needed. Cant vouch for the goo gone as i ive never tried it.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, no scews just silicone holding the board on.That is how I bought the boat.
Does anyone know where to get that product lift off at? I will be working on the boat tomorrow to try and get the silicone off. I did buy Goo Gone so that will be the first one I try.

I have to put the board back on, should I drill into the transom to keep the board on or try Marine Epoxy to hold it on?
I hate to put holes in my boat below water, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Certainly not an expert but I would drill and screw. Be sure to use ample 3M 5200 sealant in the drilled holes and especially on the screws. It will last forever without leaking. I cannot see any adhesive holding that board for very long. Again, seek expert opinions though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts