close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how to get read of a ground hog quickly.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fish4Fun, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

Found a ground hog and a big one to boot. living under my shed, need to get him out of there before he gets into the kids or the dog. I live in town so blasting him is out may be able to use 22 if the cops don't come.

2. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

Might want to try a high powered pellet gun. It wouldn't be as loud. Also might check Tractor Supply to see about poison for them. They can be a real problem. I'd put on my Elmer Fudd hat and "bwast 'em to smiverwenes,Ha Ha Ha!"

3. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

Wouldn't suggest the ole gun routine. Neighbor got busted for killing squirrels with CB's a while back....and they are almost silent. LOL.

What about a live trap? Some places event rent them.......hardwares, etc. That would be my best bet. Then transport it about 5 miles away, and dump it off the road somewhere.

4. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

tpet is right, a single door live trap is your best bet. Set the trap so that the only way out of his hole is into the trap. If you have to funnel it in with something that will work as well. Make sure you block any other tunnels the woodchuck may have. You may want to cut an apple in half and place it into the back of the trap to entice the varment into the trap! I used to trap these and other Varments for a company here in Columbus.

5. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

I almost forgot, it is illegal to transport and release a nuisance trapped animal. So I would not suggest taking it out and releasing it.

6. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

buddy at work has a trap and i was thinking of that route and then blast him somewere at a remote location.

7. Last summer I had problems with a family of ground hogs. They preferred to tunnel up against the foundation of the house where it was cool and protected from the elements (under the deck). Living on 10+ acres gives me more options than you, but I did try a live trap at first. I was only able to catch racoons....although I didn't try to funnel the ground hogs into the trap as Buddy Punk recommends. After finding a nearby exit hole, I went to Tractor Supply and bought a package of sulfur/smoke bombs designed to kill ground hogs. The directions say to plug all exit holes, light the fuse, drop it in the hole and then quickly cover the hole. Well, considering how extensive their network of tunnels can be, I figured I would up my odds a little by standing guard over the nearest exit hole with my .22 semi-auto. It worked like a charm. This year my yard has been ground hog free.

8. Take potatoe, cut a hole through it and put it on the end off a 22. Makes them sound like a cap gun going off. Worked for me when I was living in Shreve......... Rich

9. I think I would go for the live trap and then a drive to the country to take care of him!

10. If you can get a vehicle close to the hole, take an old sweeper hose or something to that nature, and attach it to your exhaust on your vehicle. Stick the open end into the hole, and cover the hole. Start the vehicle and let it run. It will blow the exhaust into the holes, and if the hog doesn't come out choken, he won't ever come out. Be sure to stand by with an old Louisville Slugger in case it pops up out of the hole. We have done this with rats under the corn cribs, and groundhogs too. Always takes care of em.

Kevin

11. Do you have any bowhunter freinds?A little pratice for them,season is not far away ;)

12. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

If you've ever used a POTATO as a SILENCER, you MIGHT BE A RED-NECK! :D

13. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

as larry the cable guy would say "I dont care who you are thats funny" :D

14. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Ya' beat me to it!!!!! :D :D :D I about choked on a Dorito readin' that one! :D Tooooooooooooooooooooo Funny!!!!!! Raider<><>

15. So would I be a red neck If I would of told him to use a 2 liter pop bottle and some eletrical or duct tape..............LOL........Rich

16. think that would work with a 12 gauge, hahaha

17. Just don't use a 40 ounce...............LOL..............Rich

18. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

These are a few methods I know of:

Inject something the animal likes to eat with antifreeze, hotdogs for skunks and raccoons and maybe even groundhogs. Or try injecting a vegetable. The animal dies later of kidney failure, and it dies wherever it ends up hiding. Does not always work on wiley 'coons, they sometimes eat around the injected part. Not a great method if there are pets around, and the death is painful and somewhat prolonged.

My uncle used to "fumigate" the chicken house with exhaust from an old tractor, and that worked to at least drive out the vermin. You may not have good results from modern auto engines because of the catalytic converter and emissions stuff. Tried "gassing" raccoons in a box with my Dodge Dakota: it took forever, like 45 minutes I think and it wasn't pretty. They didn't just "go to sleep".

Besides a shot to the head, I think the most efficient method is to catch them in a Have-a-Heart trap and drown them in a 55 gallon drum of water. It takes about 2 or 3 minutes. Had to do this at a place where I worked in Euclid. The building was infested with dozens of raccoons in the winter, got rid of them in a couple months.

True Value Hardware stores sell (or used to sell) Gopher Bombs. Like a smoke bomb. Light it, drop it down the hole, and cover the hole. It worked for me once, and didn't work another time.

Somewhere on the internet I saw a product that had predator urine in a crystal form (fox, or coyote, I think). Sprinkle it around and it is supposed to keep the vermin away. I've never tried it.

I don't LIKE doing any of these things. I always avoid causing any unnecessary pain or suffering to an animal. But, I've tried these things when it was absolutely necessary to solve an infestation problem. It's not really ethical to just send the problem over to someone else's neighborhood.

19. steelmagoo

steelmagoo Enjigneer

Just wanted to add that 22 shorts (with the smallest powder charge) or subsonic loads are very quiet when fired from a rifle, louder from a pistol. Also, I killed a raccoon in holed-up in a culvert with a Crosman 760 pellet gun, but it took several shots and some didn't penetrate the skull.