Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to post the but. dose any one have a link to show you how to filet fish? I never can do it right notsure what im doing wrong. any one can help me here im sure there a few around here lol

·
Defensor Fortis
4,374 Posts
Try this ODOW site. You can also do a search on google. There are tons of hits. I even found a couple of videos that you can buy.

A few years back I was camping and I watched a guy cleaning his fish. First, he gutted them, then he scaled them, lastly he filleted them. I went over and told him I had a faster way and he did not have to gut and scale them before filleting them. He looked at me with the deer in the headlight look and then a light came on. He stated to me that he had done it this way all his life.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/fishing/filletfsh/filletfish.htm

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I agree with the DNR way except when you get to the tail don't cut the filet and skin all the way off. Just flip the filet over with the skin still attached and then use your knife to skin it. The part attached to the tail will hold the skin for you while you filet it. Also I cut out the rib cage before skinning it.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I agree with the DNR way except when you get to the tail don't cut the filet and skin all the way off. Just flip the filet over with the skin still attached and then use your knife to skin it. The part attached to the tail will hold the skin for you while you filet it. Also I cut out the rib cage before skinning it.
On youtube there is a video of a guy filleting a walleye who uses this method of skinning. Seems very effective. I tried for the first time on a few bluegill and failed miserably.

·
Registered
11,356 Posts
Walk up to the cleaning station and locate the best fish cleaner. Admire his work and compliment him/her. Them politely ask if they could clen your fish while you watched. This works about 60% of the time. When it does not work you simply go to the local cleaning place.:D :D ;)

Honestly,,,,,,,,,watch the video's and be sure to use a sharp knife. Electric knife makes it simple. Good luck.:)

·
Banned
738 Posts
Mark,
Check this guy out. He a pro.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqCoph-C6Jo"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Bring them to me and I'm sure you'll get at least one filet per fish! Practice,practice,pracatice!

·
FIREFIGHTER/1ST RESPONDER
1,200 Posts
i got a question. when u fillet the fish and sometimes the blood comes out and gets onto the fillet, will it hurt the fillet any even after u soak it in salt water before u bag it and put it into the freezer? thanks

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
no.that's the reason i soak them.the salt draws the blood and strong flavor out.just be sure and rinse thoroughly after soaking.

·
MOD SQUAD
13,657 Posts
i soak them overnight.about a tablespoon to 1/2 gallon or so water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts