close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How To Cook Steelhead

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by moondog5814, Jul 14, 2007.

1. moondog5814

moondog5814 captainhook

Caught my first steelhead the other day. I was going to throw it back in, but it was bleeding pretty good, from inhaling my lure. I have heard that they are pretty good smoked. Unfortunately, I don't have a smoker. Any other ideas for cooking them?

2. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

do you have a grill? take a sheet of foil, lay it on a flat surface. get your smoking chips(pre soaked for a few hours)put them on it and get another sheet of foil and lay that on top. fold up the edges into a pouch/packet. poke several holes into it to allow smoke to escape. heat your grill up and put the pouch directly on the coals and the meat off to the side away from the coals. i have a smoker but i have used this method to smoke food on the grill at work. sometimes i had to make up a few pouchs with big items to keep the smoke rolling. when smoking meat do not keep lifting the lid. you let out the smoke and heat.

i also heard you can stuff a foil packet of steelhead with cloves of garlic and butter, cook on an open fire. i never tried this method but i know someone who swears by it.

3. I've baked them, wrapped in foil, with butter, salt and pepper, and sliced lemons on the top...

Also, you can bake them with butter, salt and pepper, and poultry seasoning on them, then when they are done, flake them, mix the meat up with some bread crumbs, diced onion and celery (cooked until translucent) a little melted butter, two raw eggs to bind them.. then pan fry them until a nice crust forms and you have some real tasty steelhead patties...

I'm hungry...:D

4. Fillet with skin on. Mix enough mayonayse, liguid smoke, and Old Bay Seasoning. Paint it on heavy both sides of the fillets and grill untill starts browning and flakes easily with a fork. Slide off the skin and enjoy.

5. I had it for the first time this year, also. Filleted with skin and scales left on. We just put it in the oven for about 20 minutes, no seasoning. Tasted as good as the best salmon I have ever had. Well, it was the best I ever had !:)

6. moondog5814

moondog5814 captainhook

I like the sound of your recipe Big Daddy. Sounds like it is similar to the salmon patties that my Mom makes. Will try it next week. As for you,The King, Your recipe sounds like crap....just like your football team! HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!!!

7. steelers.....

man o man....

FrANK

8. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

just wait until buffalo gets ahold of dem sorry ass squeelers...whaaah=whaaah:p

9. DarbyMan

DarbyMan Seize the day

After grilling, if you have any leftovers (big if here!) Crumble up the meat, mix with eggs, onions, chili peppers and corn meal. Flatten into patties and brown in skillet with a bit of olive oil.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!! Tasty!