how to buy the right sized waders?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Yanky, May 29, 2008.

1. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

i am looking to buy some new or used waders but need to figure out how the sizing works as I may be buying them from either ebay, or online since i have some gift cards for bass pro shop. my initial research has shown them to either be presented as sm, med, lg, xl, etc or in sizes like shoes are (mens 12, etc).

I am 6'3" or so, 185 lbs. My pants size is waist 32 and length 34 for the most part (sometimes depends on the manufacturer). I usually wear a size 11 shoe, again depending on brand. Can anyone help narrow down what size waders i should look for? any particular brands better than the rest? what about the more insulating neoprene ones? do they make you really hot in the summer?

my closest gander mountain/dicks is a bit of a drive, and id rather not blow the gas, but if i have to i will head out there to try some on. i just feel weird about trying something on that i know i will not be buying there. i cant afford something new like the ones i saw at dicks, but possibly could with my gift cards thrown in if i bought them from bass pro shop online.

thanks guys!

2. The type of wading you'll be doing most should dictate the type of wader you buy. Personally, I don't like the neoprene. They keep you warm in the cold, but are heavy and they suck if you'll be covering a lot of water. That's just a preference though. I know many guys who love their neoprenes; however, they don't use them in warm weather. They wet wade. If you choose to layer for the cold, go 2 sizes up on the boots. You can wear thin liner socks, then heavy wool socks, and still be able to move your toes around. That's important in the cold weather.

I prefer breathables. I layer underneath in the cold, and wear shorts/swimsuit underneath in the heat.

Much like shoes and clothing, sizing depends on the manufacturer. Heres' a general sizing chart.
    http://waders.stores.yahoo.net/wadsizchar.html

You may get more info if you post this in the fly fishing section. Good luck.

3. You are skinny bro...and at 6'3 you will want to consider getting a "Tall"...otherwise the crotch is going to be low, which makes it tough to move around.

I bought a pair of breathables from Cabelas and I love 'em. I wear neoprene to hunt waterfowl and fish in the winter/spring.

Get the same shoe size as if you were buying shoes.

I wouldn't buy a pair of used waders from anyone...regardless of "no leak" claims.

4. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

ok so the general idea is that the breathable ones are best in summertime. i will look for those since i wont really need the extra warmth factor for at least 6 months. some of the breatheable ones i looked at were bootless(i guess you wear some sort of wet shoe or just old shoes you dont care about). is that normal? or are those just the cheapo versions?

and what is wetwading? i assume thats wading without waders at all?

5. i am looking to buy some new or used waders but need to figure out how the sizing works as I may be buying them from either ebay, or online since i have some gift cards for bass pro shop. my initial research has shown them to either be presented as sm, med, lg, xl, etc or in sizes like shoes are (mens 12, etc).

Best to try them on first since they all fit a bit differently. 6'3" 185 sounds like a medium/tall. The more you spend on waders, the more custom sizes they have. Since you have a basspro card, I would start looking there. You might be able to find a sale, since they change models quite a bit. If you get a bootfoot and plan to fish in the winter, make sure that your boot is a size or so greater than your normal shoe size. This will allow for more socks/liners with a bit or room to spare. Basspro/cabelas have decent size options and a chart for determining a good size.

ok so the general idea is that the breathable ones are best in summertime. i will look for those since i wont really need the extra warmth factor for at least 6 months.

Right. The summer is a great time to buy your winter gear. A good thick pair of fleece pants and under armour coldgear will be enough to keep you quite warm. I add another pair of lighter breathable fleece pants when the temps will be below 20.

Some of the breatheable ones i looked at were bootless(i guess you wear some sort of wet shoe or just old shoes you dont care about). is that normal? or are those just the cheapo versions?

Actually, the cheaper versions will have a boot foot more than the more expensive ones. The stocking foot versions are more versatile since you can vary what you wear over them. I have a heavier boot for winter and an ultralight for spring/fall. The winter boot has detachable soles so I can change the bottoms based on the condition (rubber/lug for snow, felt otherwise). I also use an oversized running shoe when I'm planning on doing a lot of hiking out of the water.

and what is wetwading? i assume thats wading without waders at all?

Yes. Normally from May thru September is prime wetwading time. I bought a pair of flats boots from the cabelas cave for under 20 bucks for this purpose. They dry quickly and have a felt sole for better grip. I have been wet wading since the beginning of May, but not the past few weeks due to cooler water.

6. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

thanks guys. this is all good info. i will have to look and see what i can find. im figuring ill just stick with summer gear for now since im on a limited budget and get winter gear later if i want/need it. id like a set of waders that has everything included, boots etc, so that its all just together. im not so concerned with swapping out soles and whatnot on my first pair. just lookin for something that can get me out into the rivers comfortably and possibly be adaptable. but i will keep my options open.

thanks again!

8. Do not wear cotton socks inside your boot-foot waders. When your feet sweat, the cotton will stick to the lining...and you'll eventually tear it to pieces...

I wear the thin boot-liners from Cabelas. Works great...

9. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

hmmm well i was planning to get waders for the summer so that i wouldnt have to get totally wet/dirty/smelly but i guess if the water is ok then i might just wet wade. either way i will keep my eyes open for deals.

thanks for all the info guys. its been a big help!

side question, how much fishing do you all do in the winter anyways? i was under the impression that most fish were pretty much dormant over the winter, or at least less likely to take a bait.

10. Do not wear cotton socks inside your boot-foot waders. When your feet sweat, the cotton will stick to the lining...and you'll eventually tear it to pieces...

No, never cotton. I wear smartwool socks in varying thicknesses. During the winter, I add a thinsulate boot liner from a pair of hiking boots in my size. I can normally find liners (without the boot) for discontinued boots in the cabelas cave for a few bucks.

side question, how much fishing do you all do in the winter anyways? i was under the impression that most fish were pretty much dormant over the winter, or at least less likely to take a bait.

Steelhead bite all winter, as long as there isn't complete ice cover in the rivers. I don't walk or fish thru river ice since it isn't safe. Pick a warm day over the winter to catch other species. I had a great day a few years ago for smallmouth bass during an unusually warm day the first week of January. Reduce your bait size and slow it down when the water gets real cold.