how to access canal on GMR in Troy

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by chrsvic, Feb 22, 2008.

1. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

I've tried more than once to access the canal above Rte 41, that lies behind the golf course. (It has a reputation for having some pike in it.) Ive tried working upstream in the feeder creek, both wading and on the bank - but find it hard to get to what might be some good spots.

I guess you might be able to get upstream in a kayak - else there if you are allowed to park on Rte 202 below Staunton, there is a drainage ditch that leads to it.

2. I haven't fished it for years. We used to park off the lane that turns off 202 just south of staunton. There used to be a gate there, then we would walk back. Its tough to fish, alot of cover on the banks and tons of debri in the water. Was always a good place to shoot carp with the bow. The easiest side to fish is the golf course side, we would park off of 55 where Skylark deadends into it then drop down over the hill and head right till you find a place to cross it gets narrow at that point. Alot of walking but there were always good bass and gills along with pike. Good luck.

3. chrsvic

chrsvic Biggest Member

Thanks very much! I'll give it a shot.