close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How smart are division of wildlife employees?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Action, Jul 28, 2004.

1. A man who worked for the division of wildlife caught a 12" bowfin and had it put in the Times Reporter as a rare catch. He said he had only ever heard of 2 bowfin caught in the area before, both being from Dillon Res.. I caught 3 out of the Tusc. on Saturday, one waying 8 lb.. Nothing unusual about it.
    Catch dozens of these nasty fish yearly out of the Tusc.. I've seen 50 a day caught at the Dover spillover in the spring by bank fishermen. The numbers of these unwanted fish are pretty big and the size is usually over 5 lb..
    You would think working for the the division of wildlife this guy would have a clue to whats going on in our local waters. It does help explain some of the dumb stuff thats done with our waters. This guy should be embarrassed about making such a big deal in the local paper about something he has no idea what he's talking about. Sad part is our tax dollars paid his salary for 30 years just so he could misinform the public.

2. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Action,

You sure paint everyone associated with the ODNR with a pretty broad brush.

It's scary when you try to associate everyone in a group as the same based upon the actions or words of one.

If that premise held true then everyone, based upon your post here, could conclude that all OGF members feel the same way about the ODNR as you do. We all know that isn't the case. Some could conclude that we all make emotional statements with little basis of fact to support them, and we know that isn't true either. Taxes, you really should check out how the ODNR is funded before making those statements.

You may be completely right in you assessment of this one individual.

Have a good one,
    Kim

Kim

3. Maybe it was a rare catch for where he was fishing? And, there are a lot of different job classifications that fall under the Div. of Wildlife, some having nothing to do with fishing.

If you're getting them that big and often, maybe the paper should do a story with you on it. Couldn't hurt to give them a call, right?

4. Sorry to end my response so abruptly, had to go out to a big building fire in Akron.

Just remember, not all State employees are idiots, and not all idiots are State employees. ;)

5. muskiehunter

muskiehunter Was that Bass 5lb?Burp!

i m not gettin in a debate,no way :rolleyes: ..but without the DNR we'd be sunk......but.ya know seems like another fish that wasn't so popular years ago has become a sport target,the Carp....maybe somebody should start a bowfin club. :D

6. Instead of CAG it would be BAG.

7. Carpman_1977

Carpman_1977 Big Softy the Fish Finder

They are just as smart as they need to be. :p

Probably smart enough to be on this site and not to be noticed, I can tell you that! I know of several who frequent this site.

Watch out!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Everyone I have met have been really good people. I think they are really knowlegable. As a matter of fact, I have got some awesome honey holes from talking to them after getting checked for a fishing license or saftey inspections. ;)

Tee

9. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Do you know what you have to go through to be a Game protector ? I wanted to be one after high school but after seeing all the coarses I would have to major in , I decided that I could not go through with it . You have to take alot of science classes (zooaogy , botany , ect. ) Also you have to major in a few fields of law inforcement . All I can say is that any-one who has made it to the job , congradulations !

10. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Can't be too rare. between me and my buddy, we caught 9 last week.

I think there is more than just one misinformed officer out there! :rolleyes: When I was asked for my liscence earlier this year, theshad were up against the rocks how they do, he saw them and could not believe the fish. He was asking why I was not catching them. I was like those are just shad. I was bluegill fishing with my little girl, not getting catfish bait. I was like I think they come up like that because they spawn along the rocks. He was just so amazed I could not believe it. Afterward, I thought how could he be an officer and not know what shad are. I mean you could tell just glancing at them. Makes me wonder if I could have a boat with a 100 horse motor on it and paint over one of the 0 and say it is a 10 horse and get away with it! :eek: :cool: :D

I forgot to add though, most that I have came across have been nice people. I guess they (the officers) are just like us! :p

11. They are making a living in the field doing what they love while I'm stuck indoors doing paperwork! :D

Seriously, I'm friends with an ohio county game warden and he happens to be one of the most knowledgeable people I know. And not only about wildlife; weeds, grasses, roots, and trees too. And he's a darn good wild game chef!

12. I find your criticism to be trivial and childish. Just once I'd like to see an informed, well thought out criticism of the ODOW or their programs. Some guy on another site posted his letter to the ODNR blasting the saugeye stocking program in Ohio while mentioning Alum Creek and Hoover in particular. He wants them to try stocking walleye. Hmmm...I wonder if ODOW has already been there done that?

13. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

Man! I hope we don't bash everyone that ask a unpopular question, it's starting to sound like another site that doesn't exist anymore :confused:

14. Just saying that I would think a wildlife guy would be more informed before making wrong statements in the paper. They made it sound like he caught a dinosaur. Not bashing the ODNR, sorry for the misunderstanding. I have seen some bass(carp) shelters put into lakes in my lifetime by the ODNR. But they learned from their mistakes.

15. Could be the reporter taking his statements out of context too. Just seemed you were painting with a broad brush, that's all. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was childish though.

I think the whole thread is getting misunderstood. If you could, try and find the article and post it, then we can all see what you're talking about.

16. catking

catking Banned

Some of you guys have to take Actions words as what they were meant to be. Sometimes members know what they want to say, but it comes out a little harsh. I have met a couple ODNR guys that # 1- Couldn't identify a smallmouth from a largemouth. # 2- Had no idea how a blue cat looked like, which is pretty important, since they are protected.....Its a fact that the ODNR tried for years to stock Walleye at St. Marys. Heck, I know this would fail. But tried they did??? There are a few sides to every story...... CATKING

17. muskiehunter

muskiehunter Was that Bass 5lb?Burp!

i am now a converted optimist...........rejoice in the fact of how smart he makes you look! :D
    ...p.s hows come catkings posts is always right in front of mine? :D

18. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

19. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Action,

Maybe I read a little more into your post than you really intended. I have a lot of personal contact with employees of the ODNR. There may be some indvidual ODNR employees, as in any group, that aren't quite what we think they should be. The people that I have met and have dealings with are really top shelf and are passionate about their jobs and doing them well.

I have a tremendous respect for the job these guys do for all of us.

Have a good one fella,
    Kim

20. Tee

Tee Team OGF

Catking,

They actually still do stock Walleyes in St. Marys lake. Check out the Prospects at the ODNR Website.

Over 50 Million since 99 and 993,000 last year. I know the depth of the Lake is an issue but they sure would have tons to eat. That lake is Filled with shad.

Tee