close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How should I prepare Deer Tenderloins?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by OSU_Fisherman, Jan 10, 2008.

1. OSU_Fisherman

OSU_Fisherman Bassin' Buckeye

Well i got all my meat back from the processor for the deer I took this year and need to know what I can do with the Tenderloins.

We cut out the inner loins when we gutted the deer and grilled them that night. Our first mistake was that we didn't marinade them or anything...just threw them on the grill. Our second mistake was that we overcooked them by a lot. This deer had an infection in one of its rear haunches from what looked like a bullet wound...so my dad wanted them extra done to avoid a trip to the ER haha.

Now that I have the outer loins back, I dont want to mess them up. What do you guys do with them? I mostly like grilling, so what marinades are out there? I didn't know if I should look for a deer/game marinade or just go with some good ol' A1 marinade or what. I'll accept any ideas (even outside of grilling..... stews etc) and probably end up trying several.

Thanks in advance.
    Jason

2. fisherman5567

fisherman5567 Fishin Everyday

For a quick good marinade for any meat, just put it in some italina dressing for a while.

3. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i like to cut mine up into 1" pieces, roll them in seasoned flour (paprika, garlic power, fresh ground pepper) brown that in a hot saute' pan with 100% unsalted butter, remove them when browned to a plate and put in a warm (not hot) oven. in that same saute' pan (DONT CLEAN IT OUT!!!) add more butter and saute' 1 large sliced onion and 1 large plastic container fresh mushrooms you cut in half. when that is 1/2 way cooked i add 2 heaping table spoons of minced garlic you by at the store in a jar and finish cooking. when thats done add the meat back to the same pan, add 1/2 cup of beef stock and 1/2 a bottle of teriyaki or a-1 sauce (matters what im in the mood for) let that reduce and enjoy. it can be put over noodles, rice or just eat it as is (my favorite way:D ) remember, dont over cook. i cook a lot of deer this way not just back straps. 1 thing, use the biggest pan you got, it's just easier to work with.

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

try this one.it is very good.i've also used it for beef and pork tenderloin.

8 (3 to 3 1/2-ounce) venison medallions (each about 1/2 to 3/4-inch
    thick)
    Salt, pepper
    2 tablespoons butter
    8 fresh large shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced thin
    2 small garlic cloves, minced
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/2 cup Tawny Port
    4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    Salt and pepper, to taste

Sprinkle venison with salt and pepper. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Working in batches, add venison to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Set aside. In fat remaining in skillet saute mushrooms with garlic, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated. Add broth, Port, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer sauce until thickened and reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 15 minutes, and stir in vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Place 2 venison medallions a top sauce on each plate.

5. There are as many ways to cook a venison steak as there is with any other kind. And the ones listed here sound delicious. The key is to not overcook them. Since there is no marbled fat they will dry out in a hurry once the blood is all cooked out of them. I prefer mine medium rare, just a bit of pink. I usually don't get as creative as some of these recipes. I just put them on the grill on high indirect heat and grill them like I would a beef steak. I like to add a dry rub at times (black pepper, red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, etc.). I think it is better to cook them fast and only to well done.

6. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

the key is definitely not overcooking.and no matter how you prepare them,if you remember that,they'll be delicious.i've simply pan fried them in a little butter or olive oil and they're still excellent.

7. The first time I ever made deer steaks I soaked them for about a day and a half in Lowery's Mesquite sauce. I poked a bunch of holes in the meat with a fork to let the sauce soak in and then refridgerated it and in the morning I "stabbed" them some more and put them back in the fridge. When I grilled them they tasted like beef jerky. They were delious. :D

8. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

With backstrap, the bigger pieces you cook, the better the end result. I usually cut it into at least 4" long chunks. If the deer didn't hang for at least a couple of days before butchering, put the steaks in a bowl with a paper towel over them loosely, and let them sit in the fridge for a couple of days.

I marinate mine in a mixture of teryaki sauce, soy sauce, pepper, and garlic for at least four hours before slapping them on a very hot charcoal grill. I usually cook them about six minutes per side, give or take. Take them off the grill, cover them with foil and let them rest about eight minutes, then eat them.

If you can buy a better steak in a restaurant, I'll pay for it.

9. don't you love how ol'school dads think?!? lmao

10. All the previous methods sound good but are too darn time consuming to suit me unlees some else is doing the cooking.:p :)
    I simply cut a butterfly steak about 3/8" thick and toss it into a non-stick fry pan that has some unsalted butter and minced garlic in it. Cooking about five at a time in a very hot pan I place them in one at a time and as soon as the fifth one goes in I turn the first one then remove the first one as soon as I turn the fifth one and continue removing the remainder. This results in a fairly rare steak when removed but ends up pink and bloodless when allowed to sit at the table for a few minutes wrapped in foil. The whole cooking process takes about 4 to five minutes. I usually serve them with pan fried potatoe slices cooked with onions and garlic. Guess I'll go and do it now as I butterfly'd a half dozen about an hour ago.

11. For my Son

For my Son Fish to enjoy time with my boy.

Im with Shortdrift. I have done the marinade and grill thing(which I like and still do from time to time) but it is so much easier and faster just to sear them with some butter and minced garlic in a pan. I lightly dust with seasoning salt pepper then put them in a hot pan with the butter and minced garlic. Be careful not to burn the butter it will not add a flavor you will be happy with. LOL

Almost any marinade will work depending on what you are looking to achieve.

I am going to try a couple of the recipes in here on a long cold weekend after football season when I dont have anything better to do though!!

12. PGV16

PGV16

You have many options. First to properly prepare the Tenderloins make sure you have all the outer layer removed (white) and you have nothing but clean red meat. You may need to trim any meat exposed to the air during freezing. A key with Deer is to use something to break down the meat. I like to use lime juice. It works well and adds nice flavor. A good simple mix that a lkot people like is to marinade in about a cup of lime juice, worstershire sauce, and then use a dry rub on the outside ( you can also make a nice dry rub if you have a pepper grinder and some montreal steak seasoning).
    As far as cooking UNDER cook the deer. It is much better on the rare side. If your concerned used a meat thermometer but look at the veal setting.
    Slice the tenderloin thin and serve with Horshradish sauce for a kick! My mouth is watering already....

13. 1lbs of bacon cut in half 1 loin marinated in your favorite marinade cube loin about 2 inch squares wrap in bacon put tooth pick through to hold bacon put on grill or oven you can do this with any of your deer meat Remember when in doubt wrap it in bacon,