Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to figure out how often you would want to replace your line? I know I have some that is several years old But it has not been used much till recently?

·
Certified Hawg Master
689 Posts
For Braided line I change once every year to year and a half or so. Usually because I am running low on the spool.

Everything else I change once every 2 to 4 weeks depending on how much I have used my rods.

·
Relaxing.
5,750 Posts
I agree with the rest of the guys. My mono lines i change roughly every month and my braid (power pro) i put on at the start of the season each year.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I really only use fluorocarbon as a leader. But I use to fish it as the main line and its about the same as mono.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Every 2-4 weeks. wow! I still have my same line on from last year.

·
Mellons mentor
4,001 Posts
I change line after every trip, so I change line as much as 50 times a year, depending on what rods I am using.

·
Pay-it-foward fisherman
5,251 Posts
Depends on the brand of line. I have had the same Pline flurocarbon(NOT CLEAR) on my reel for about a year now. Other lines I might change after everytrip (Usually stren, that stuff is crap thats why I stopped using it).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Boy I dont know ,if I had to change my line after every trip I would be bankrupt!For mono I change mine once or twice a season,for superlines I think thier good for atleast a year if not more.I tend to run low on my spool more than anything.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
This depends a lot on what kind of fishing you do. Cat guys tend to fish places that cause a lot of nicks and abrasions on their lines. Trollers on Erie rarely stress their main lines with the exception of drifting debris or tangled lines.......they may however change leaders regularly. Perchers using good braid may use it for years.

My braids for trolling are lasting a couple years with only reversing the line after one year. Mono lines gets changed at least 2-3 times a season.

·
Eat Em Up Charters
3,609 Posts
At least once a month if not more. Depends on how much I am fishing and the cover. Braided line usually lasts a little longer for me. But Mono I change really often. I buy the 1000+ yd spools every couple months...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Depends, my 11' steelhead rig i change before every season (2x year) I cant afford to replace my Powerpro after a year. For what that costs it should last a lonnnnggggg time!

Perch rods get pretty nasty after a while, once a year on mono, longer on braid.

·
Registered
894 Posts
my two baitcasters 14 lbs. bps excel clear blue mono line i change about every two weeks when fishing 3-5 days a week, less than that once a month, i fish alot of cover and will put my baits right into the thick of it all so my line gets beat up pretty good, my cat poles i use bps excel mono on too and i change that once a year.

the worst thing that can happen is have old line on ur reel and know its old line and have the line snap on a really nice fish!!!!!!!!! i know we all have been there before!!!!

·
Senior Executive Member
1,285 Posts
so the consensus is that mono needs to be changed more often?

I prefer mono, and usually use Stren (is it that crappy? trilene always twisted up on me more), and only change lines about twice a year.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts