Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A buddy of mine turned me on to fishing a shad rap on a bass rod around dams to catch flathead earlier this year. We catch all kinds of species but I'd say at least 40% of the fish we catch at flatties. I still enjoy the traditional bait and wait style but this is a lot of fun when you've only got a few hours.

Anywho, got this guy yesterday down a ways from the lower GMR dam. He certainly was a fun fight on my bass rod. Didn't have my scale with me and didn't get any measurements, but just based off fish I've caught in the past I guess him to be in the low 20's.

I know its hard to tell a fishes weight from a picture, but all I'm really looking for is a rough estimate on what you "think" he would go.

I'm around 5'11", 270lbs.

Fish was CPR'd, had him on a stringer about 10mins till my wife got there with a camera.

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
Nice fish, esp for the GMR.

As far as weight if I was only looking at the 1st pic I'd say 17#'s. If I was only looking at the 2nd pic I'd say right at 20#'s. You know what though..... it's more than I and most others caught at that same time,so congrats on a nice GMR fish. I hope your good luck continues.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Ill second what mellon said, 17-20 lbs, I dont think its any more then that though and here is a similar 21 lb ( weighed) flattie I got a few miles downstream from you about 3 weeks ago for reference:

Nice fish thats for sure!

Salmonid

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its been a really slowwww year for me so far, so I was thrilled to catch this one regardless of weight. Just thought I'd get a rough estimate from fellow catmen, some interesting replies so far.

Honestly the fish felt thick and heavy, before I looked at the pics and just the fish I was thinking nearly 25lbs, but after looking the pics over a few dozen times I'd say he looks around 17-18llbs, lol.

·
BigCatJoe
209 Posts
Id say 12-15 at the very most after weighing several fish in this range the past few weeks. Doesn't have the length or girth to push 20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts