close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many?

Discussion in 'Guns and Ammo' started by Lundy, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

How many of you, beside me, use muzzleloaders during the regular gun season instead of shotguns?

2. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I love my Knight MuzzleLoader & Hunt with it during Shotgun Season too, I have been doing this for over 8 years now. I forget what its like to shoot a Deer with a Shotgun. I most always Tag out with my Bow anyway, Then use a Doe Tag for Gun season. I cant hunt in the real cold weather because of my Back, But when I do its with My Bow & Knight Muzzy.
    Cat Mazter-> During the Spring & Summer :D
    Buck Mazter-> During Hunting Season :D

3. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i did on occasion,when i hunted.
    .50 cal. tc renegade kit gun.

4. bronzebackyac

bronzebackyac Crick Smallie Fisherman

My family and I all hunt with smokepoles. My grandfather makes traditional riffles. Mine is a 58 caliber hawkins. It weighs about 9 lbs and is a deer dropper. It has a curly maple stock and a tapered barrel. It is tough for drives, but i did kill a doe last year on a drive. I killed a nice 8 pt the year before with it. I also have killed a small buck with a 45 caliber kentuky long riffle that he made. Traditional is the way to go. I makes for a great chalenge. The new muzzleloaders are just riffles that you load a different way. I think they should have a state wide primitive season for traditional only. That would be sweet. What do you guys think?

5. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I do too. I love the range I get plus it's a whole lot more fun.

6. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Why is it more fun? My shotgun has 3 bullets and my muzzleloader has 1. 3 is better than 1 right?

7. bronzebackyac

More of a challenge= more fun for some people. It is kinda like fishing with an ultralight. It is more of a challenge to land big fish so it is funner for some people. You should only need one shot anyway if you take the time to get the right shot. I know alot of people that just shoot as soon as they see a deer. knowing that they have a couple follow up shots. If everybody only had one shot then there would be alot less lead flying around the deer woods and an overall safer environment to hunt in.

8. I use my T/C Black diamond .50cal for gun season. Why? My T/C is a tack driver at 100 yards!!
    ski

9. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

I too love muzzleloader hunting but it still is fun to unload a shotgun on a big buck running full bore from 100 yards. Can't really do that with a muzzleloader. Right now I got an Traditions in-line. Never really got into the flint lock stuff. I would love to have one of those Thompson Center Omegas, they look pretty sweet.

10. :mad:

Unreal

11. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Hey Onions,

I never miss, I have a Remington 870, shoot Federal Slugs. And when I say never miss, I mean NEVER, it may be the 2nd or 3rd shot but its going down one way or another. :cool:

12. Guess what, those first 2 shots are misses. Ever wonder why people are scared to go into the woods during gun season?

13. Smallie Gene

Smallie Gene Banned

Trust me, safety is extremely important to me thus I am very observant of my surroundings. i.e. hunter orange, houses, etc. My first shot or two usually don't miss anyhow, they just slow 'em down a little so I can place my 3rd shot with pin-point accuracy.

I know what the hell I'm doing, I just don't know what others are doing, thats why I'm scared to go in the woods during gun season and thats why I would never gun hunt on public land because you just don't know who is going to be out there.........

14. You hit him in the rear with the first shot. The second shot takes off his lower jaw. In the excitement of unloading that last round on that big 'ol buck you short stroke the pump and now you have to clear your jammed action. In the mean time that big 'ol buck has run full bore over the hill and is now out of sight.

Since neither round has hit a vital organ, or even a large artery, very little blood is on the ground and the trail is quickly abandoned. Since the deer was 100 yards away when you unloaded on him you have no idea where you hit and assume it was just a flesh wound and that big 'ol buck will be ok. Meanwhile 2 hollers away, curled up in brush pile, that big 'ol buck has begun the long process of dieing of starvation and sepsis.

15. bronzebackyac

Looks like we might be seeing Smallie Gene on the outdoor channel this year dropping a slunger on the run offhand through the brush at 100 yrds. Wow. Can you teach me. lol

16. It may take him one, two, or maybe three shots but that buck is going down!!!

Smallie,
    If you drop him on the first shot do you shoot the other 2 into the ground just to hear the gun go BOOM BOOM?

17. Cat Mazter

My Personal Goal is 1 Shot 1 Kill, Im no lead thrower. I will not go on to Some Public hunting grounds just because of guys that do go out & shoot @ everything running. Had to many close calls for me. If you cant put a Whitetail down in 1 shot then there is something wrong, Plus the closer you get makes it that much better. It shows Skill. ;)
    Cat Mazter

18. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Smallie Gene,

I'm happy you kill and recover everything you shoot at, I'm sure everyone that has read this is also happy you do so.

You can't expect to say what you said on a public website and not catch some flak about it. ALL ethical hunters would define your stated activities as unethical, just no other way to define it.

So while this may be how you normally hunt or maybe not, when you bring it out, as you did, for discussion you will be questioned about the ethics of your actions as you describe. It is a responsibility of all hunters to police their own group.

Sadly, there are a lot of hunters that possess the same thoughts as you expressed. These same hunters do little to uphold the integrity and tradition of hunting, they seem to be much more driven by the kill than the hunt.

The ODNR reduced the legal capacity of rounds that could be carried to address safety issues and as a side benefit helped in the ethical area a little. I would be in full support if a further reduction to one round was ever proposed and adopted.

Good luck,
    Kim

19. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I also hunt with my muzzleloaders during all of our gun season in Ohio. My son, friend and brother also hunt with ML's.

I bowhunted for so many years that I wouldn't even know how to take a second shot, so more than one round at a time does nothing for me.

I hae been hunting with a Knight MK-85 and a Grand American for the last 12 years. last year I purchased a new Savage ML and liked it so much I bought one this year for my son to use.

The land I hunt offers a lot of opportunities for long open country shots. I just want to have the most capable weapon in my hands to do the job. The ML fits those needs for my hunting group.

I kicking around a get together this fall for anyone that wants to meet and shoot the deer guns and muzzleloaders.

Kim

20. Cat Mazter

Id be more than willing to help you get us all together to shoot. I am a Member of Hocking County Fish & Game Assoc., We have a very nice Pistol & Rifle Ranges with the Rifles being on Covered Stations with a Concrete Shooting Tables. Id be more than willing to have some people come to the Range if we could arrange a Date & Time. It will hold about 30 cars, & There is 5-6 Shooting Bench's, with 100-200 yards backstops. Very nice & Out in the Country.
    Cat Mazter