Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how much longer the wife and I and a few other neighbors have to put up with somebody that is getting evicted. Landlord said they started the eviction process on one of the neighbors due to many complaints and some illegal activity, they said it will be a while because there is a kid involved. They have been trouble ever since they moved in :mad: . It's gotten so bad recently that we're considering staying in a hotel for a few nights to get some freaking sleep. I googled it and the process seems to take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months but no definite answer, just wondered if anybody here might have any knowledge of it.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
no personal experience but as long as 3 months I believe.....and nothing but trouble till then I would suspect....the police would be on a first name bases with them with my phone calls over there activities

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
The eviction process isn't that long really but it gets dragged out depending on when notice was served, the reasons for eviction, if a kid our children are living there, and of the person getting evicted is fighting out or not.

In your case I would assume any delay tactic the tenant can employ, will be. So 90 days seems like a fair assumption.

~^~^~^~^~^
| Mr. A
|
¿ <°»))))>{

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
and in a lot of cases the owner can expect a trashed property, along with the naggy neighbors.....but lets hope not.....some just like a free place to stay for awhile till it catches up to them.....and only going to get worse in this economy ....to many suffering out there right now and not looking better at all

·
Premium Member
8,718 Posts
Shouldn't be long. After the eviction is filed with the court, a date will be set within the next two weeks. As long as the landlord has definitive proof that the lease has been broken, (lack of payment, illegal activity, ect), the eviction date will be set within two to three weeks.

I was a landlord for a dozen years, and unfortunately had to do my share of evictions. Whether there were children, grandparents, goldfish, dogs, or hamsters involved had no bearing on how long the court gave the tenants to vacate the property. As long as the landlord files the writ on the day the eviction is granted, they should be out within a few weeks.

Rest assured, the house will be trashed beyond recognition when he takes possession of it. If I posted pictures of some of the houses I had returned to me after an eviction, you'd puke.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
My family has dozens of rental properties, seriously no joke. .....i call them slum lords. Lol. The work helped me through college so I cant complain. We evict people twice a year almost. Rest asssured if they are behind on rent and arent going to get thier deposit back that the house will be trashed. It will take a couple months to get them out.....after the eviction has been served..... if the people stretch it out it could take more. If they take the landlord to court it could be much longer. Trust me it sucks.

We had some people take us to court. They were behind on the rent by like 3 months to begin with. We served them an eviction and waited. The winter rolled around and the electric had been shut off and we wanted to check the pipes.....middle of winter pipes bust. So we knocked on the door and then used our key...to our house...and walked in. They said they were in bed...... but they really werent....they then said it was an invasion of privacy. They got a lawyer and fought us for a solid 3 months. We won the case but were out of 6 months rent, unpaid utilities, court cost, clean up, new floors, drywall, etc. In court we were told that renters have more rights than the landlords. Not exactly in those words but more or less.

This doesn't happen often but it does happen. It sounds like your neighbors may be those kinda people.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
1,915 Posts
From My experience (or lack of) You can count on 90 day's,Of course the Judge has the final say.Started in Aug. they were out Dec,except for sixty odd bags of trash in the basement,and all their broken furniture.The Judge said Thanks Giving was close so set the date for first week in Dec.:( Never again!! I did this for my Brother-in-law until he came back from Florida........He's Still in FLA:p

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping it's just a few more weeks of restless nights but wouldn't be surprised if it drags on for a few months. If it was just her and her kid they wouldn't be trouble but she keeps going to the ghetto and bringing back 'trash' with her. And after a few days of living with them the honeymoon wears off and she marathon argues with them. One argument lasted a day and a half. Since she's a welfare mother and doesn't work they apparently sleep all day and they're up all night usually cussing each other out. Everybody in our building of the apartment complex is sick of dealing with the drama especially considering this is in a quiet suburb.

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
ohhh, havent we all heard of this one before? i feel bad for the kid, depending on if he/she has the will to change, he/she will grow up to be trash like her. sucks bad.
sometimes the landlords can be pricks. my best friend and his mom were evicted because they supposedly were causing property damage. but really, a leak they had in the house that wasnt repaired by the landlords caused the damage and not only that, but it also destroyed his xbox. i think they lost the court battle? or it may be going on still.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The eviction can't come soon enough :mad: !!! Came home today to the apartment smelling like a stink bomb, next door neighbor mentioned his did too then I notice remnants of the stinkbomb on his patio. Guessing the 'trash' wanted to show us some kindness :mad: . Went thru a can of air freshener and the place still stinks.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Depends on how the lease is written. Unless there are specific agreed upon performance and occupancy terms it can be stretched out as mentioned below.
My leases now state that eviction will start at 5 days past due and occupants agree to vacate 30 days after that.

My leases also state that the locks will be changed out after 45 days from the first missed payment date.

Yes Ohio has consumer laws that protect tenants, but I have found that if the tenant agrees to my terms they must abide by them as they are not illegal.

A lesson learned after years of being a landlord.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So much for the eviction :mad: . Apparently they got lucky and went before a sympathetic judge as he ruled in their favor for now. According to one of the neighbors they came home hootin' and hollerin' the other day saying 'we're still your neighbors (censored)' loud enough for everybody too hear. He wasn't too happy being woken up since he was on 3rd shift that night. I caught their little 'bebe kid' in my patio as well as the neighbor's last week so I set a few native prickly pear cactus in pots at the entrance of our patio so if the little bugger tries messing around there again he'll get a nice surprise. At least their lease is up sometime this fall.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I caught their little 'bebe kid' in my patio as well as the neighbor's last week so I set a few native prickly pear cactus in pots at the entrance of our patio so if the little bugger tries messing around there again he'll get a nice surprise.
How old is the kid? I didnt see that mentioned. Im not sticking up for them in any way, but dont punish the kid for being a kid and being nosey. Remember, you dont have the opportunity to pick and choose who your parents are.

·
Team Fatty
1,258 Posts
I caught their little 'bebe kid' in my patio as well as the neighbor's last week so I set a few native prickly pear cactus in pots at the entrance of our patio so if the little bugger tries messing around there again he'll get a nice surprise.
be careful, they'd probably try to sue you, and I wouldn't be surprised if they won in today's world.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.