Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to West Branch yesterday. Threw every musky lure I had for 3 hours at 3 different spots, and not a bite. I know that's par the course for musky, but makes me wonder if I am fishing too late for them.

I'm planning on musky fishing St. Clair in two days with my buddy (Clinton River spillway), but he thinks we missed out and there's not a good chance we'll catch any.

What say you, catchers of skis?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just start reading up on casting for cold water musky...... Google is your friend.
What I had read was basically:

Fish deep & slower

Use rubber and jerkbaits, no spinners

I just noticed on Fishbrain, the musky catches seem pretty hot in October but there's almost nothing in November. I imagine as it gets colder, the musky are less active, and their metabolism decreases = don't need to eat as often. I know it's a hard fish to catch in the best conditions though!

This might upset some, but we're just gonna fish for carp and cats instead 😂. Instead of the fish of 10,000 casts & $40 lures, we're going for the fish of 10 casts & a 50 cent can of corn lol!

·
Registered
17 Posts
May

Fish deep & slower

I just noticed on Fishbrain, the musky catches seem pretty hot in October but there's almost nothing in November. I imagine as it gets colder, the musky are less active, and their metabolism decreases = don't need to eat as often. I know it's a hard fish to catch in the best conditions though!

This might upset some, but we're just gonna fish for carp and cats instead 😂. Instead of the fish of 10,000 casts & $40 lures, we're going for the fish of 10 casts & a 50 cent can of corn lol!
Maybe less fisherman to report in November vs. Oct.? Cuz at alum we get em eye fishing till freez up with Jerks n swims

·
Registered
373 Posts

Fish deep & slower

If you’re gonna do that you might as well put a large minnow/shiner out there on bottom or under a bobber while you wait for your Carp. Any nearby Muskie might just inhale it! 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
946 Posts
Late December til iceup is my favorite time to musky fish. we have had 5 fish days! 2020 didnt get ice at all & we caught fish over 40" in january and february. Sure does get cold but it is very addicting & have the lake to myself.
Do as Fishingmarshall said . Find the large schools of Shad . The muskie will be there . And if you snag a shad on a large Vibe,Fuzzy does it . Put it out on pole free spooling,you'll get a taker

·
Registered
666 Posts
Interesting how there are guys who do well early fall then can't get a bite late fall and guys who love late fall/winter and dont do as well early fall. I've always been a fan of the late fall early winter until temps go below 40. Goes to show someone's always on the bite even if we might not be.

Rubber, jigging (fuzzy duzzits mentioned), dive and rise, glides worked slow are my favorite. West Branch late I've done well trolling big baits and jigging. Once water temps get below 40 it's pretty cold out air temp wise and bite windows seem short so I normally hang it up, that's my excuse at least.

Tons of info on late season lake St Clair you can find. Seems being in the right spot this time year for lake St Clair is the biggest deal then tossing your favorite rubber bait comes next. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also that late season bite til iceup my fishin' partner n I have only caught muskies between 10am & 2pm. We have fished before 10am but have caught fish at exactly 10am never sooner & never after 2pm. But we never stayed passed 2pm tho cause we both worked midnights so we would be tired by then & pack up. to head home n get sleep, & at that point we was hitting it 3 or 4 days a week after work during that period. Not saying there isnt another bite window in the evening but this is what we have noticed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also that late season bite til iceup my fishin' partner n I have only caught muskies between 10am & 2pm. We have fished before 10am but have caught fish at exactly 10am never sooner & never after 2pm. But we never stayed passed 2pm tho cause we both worked midnights so we would be tired by then & pack up. to head home n get sleep, & at that point we was hitting it 3 or 4 days a week after work during that period. Not saying there isnt another bite window in the evening but this is what we have noticed.
Were you trolling or casting that time of the year? If you were trolling what kind of speed were you going at?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a friend who always fishes Leesville Lake in the fall and he catches monster muskies. Its usually so cold he has a winter coat on.

It is strange that muskies cannot reproduce in Leesville Lake. The State actually has to stock them in the lake but people have caught some real Moby Dick size muskies there.

Here is a picture of a very SMALL one he caught.

Water Fisherman Fish Fin Fishing

·
Registered
10 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts