close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How have you made a better rod, reel, boat/ life.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by peple of the perch, Oct 15, 2008.

1. I was reading a couple of posts where other fisherman have bettered there rod, reels, etc. It got me thinking that there are probably many other great little tricks to make fishing/boating easier and funner. Things as simple as putting markers on your rod so you would know how long a fish is and don't have to struggle with a measuring tape, same thing with an auger. Also it could be something like putting a better grease in your reels so they don't freeze up during the winter.

Another good example is the 5 gallon bucket with a hole cut in it for a drift sock. I got tired of paying a $1 for a single small ice jig. so I ran out and bought some plaster of paris and took a mold of it. After the mold was complete I took a dremel and made a hole so I can pour the lead. Not I have a huge supply of jigs for the Ice season. there were also some instances where I was outfishing everyone on my jigs at Ladue. So lets hear them OGFer's. what have you done to make fishing more enjoyable.

2. corndawg

corndawg Go Bulldogs!!!

Good thread idea. Hopefully it will grow.

I took the fishing poles that I use to tight line on the bottom while night fish and painted the last 6” of the tip of the rod gloss white. Helps to see them better in the lantern light. I hear there is now a reflective and glow-in-the-dark paint by rustoleum available but I have yet to try it.

As far as minnow bucket bubblers goes, I think I’ve tried them all. The best that I’ve found is the Mino-Mizer. Instead of bubbles it sprays a fine mist over the surface of the water. It keeps the water cooler and delivers 6x more oxygen then a bubbler. It’ll operate up to 60 hours on a fresh 6-volt battery and has an optional AC adapter. Put any dead minnows in a plastic bag with a tiny amount of water and canning salt then freeze them. Works great when used on jigs.

When wading put your camera/phone in a plastic sandwich bag.

Always wet your knot before tightening it.

Lip balm on your rod guides will help stop them from freezing.

If you have a two piece fishing rod that tends to stick together use paraffin wax or rub the butt section of the rod on the side of your nose. This will make taking it apart easier.

If possible wear sun shades, glasses or some kind of eye protection. Those snagged lures can spring back very fast

If you have a line out while on a boat or on shore and the fish are not biting grab a sandwich or take a leak. They always bite at those times.

3. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i do most of the things mentioned in the previous post. but on another note.. always keep your boat ship shape, do not leave anything laying around store all unused gear, it 's a safety hazard. know where the important things are kept and at close reach. store your fire extinguisher away from the gas tank,if it's on fire you might not be able to get to it. i use velcro to keep my bow and dock ropes coiled at stored to the gunwhale.make sure your life jackets will fit your passengers before leaving the dock.

4. This year I bought a dozen or so of those canvas nail pouches at Lowe's to store my dipsy's and jet's in when I am not using them. For example when I head to the Central Basin from the Western I pull out the size 1 dipsy pouches and swap them out from the size 0 that I pull in the Western Basin. I leave the leaders and snubbers on the dipsys and leaders on the jets and just "ball them up" and put one per pouch away. This has completely eliminated any tangles and I no longer have to swap out leaders and snubbers when I change jet or dipsy sizes. Makes swap outs very quick too!

5. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

Be sure to leave the bail open, or loosen the drag enough that the fish cannot pull your rod into the water!

Also, when shore fishing without current, wrap the line around a can, so when a fish hits, it will move the can and alert you to a bite. I set it so the can is tipped at an angle, that way I can tell if the fish is coming at me, or going away from me.

-Hooch-

6. raise your motor when driving it behind a boat. If you hit a pothole you could break the lower unit and bo out several hunded dollars.

7. Buick Riviera

Buick Riviera Willows and bass go together like beer and pizza.

Get some Rubbermaid utensil trays from Walmart for around $1.50 a piece. They interlock and hold 3 Plano 3700's a piece. Velcro them to the bottom of one of your storage areas of your boat for your tackle storage. No more tackle boxes to trip over and you can interchange other 3700's as needed with specific tackle you need that day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buick

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i use plastic milk crates for my plano boxes.

9. Clayton

Clayton Fly guy

Hahaha, isn't that true? The farther you go / more inconvenient it is, the better the bite :p i was 20' vertically up a muddy bank in the middle of a rainstorm taking a leak, but the fish was running so fast that I could still hear line pouring out of my reel. I missed the fish :(

10. It you have to much tangle ot twis oin your line. Let out a bunch with the lure off while you boat to your next destination. It will take a good amount or the twist out of your line.

11. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

On my dipsy rods I leave the dipsys on the rods to make setting up easier. I let out enough line so I can wrap the snubber around the reel and then I snap the swivels to the farthest eye on the rod. I secure the dipsy with a piece of Velcro ties. I buy them at the hardware store. The velcro ties are used to secure wires instead of using zip ties. I also have a label maker and I label every rod as to which rod holder they go into. It saves me a lot of time. I don't have to worry what setting the dipsy are on and even the most novice can help set rods out. I even use the ties to secure my planer board clips that are on standby.

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Take a 5"x6" flat piece of thin stainless steel. Drill a hole in the center. Remove the nut on top of your Coleman lantern and place the steel on the bolt.
    Put the nut back on. Make sure your carrying handle is up when postitioning the steel plate. It comes in handy for drying wool or cotton gloves when ice fishing.

13. read this in magazine recently. Works like a charm. Use an empty toilet paper or paper towel tube to remove old line from a reel before re-spooling. The tube fits over the front of a drill. Tape the line down, then run the drill and pull the line off.

14. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

If you're using a micro braid like Power Pro or Fire Line, now reel that line back onto another spool. Reel it back on to the original spool and now you've got fresh line back on top.

15. Pigsticker

Pigsticker State record bass or bust

If you find some roadkill tie it up hanging off a branch over the water at your favorite pond. Some of the maggots feasting on it will fall off and into the water. There will always be some fish waiting underneath for a free lunch.

If you're having problems with line breakage learn the simple Palomar knot. You-tube has hundreds of knot tying videos.

When cleaning a pike just leave the troublesome Y bone in and pull out after cooked and it'll come out clean and you won't waste any meat.

When cleaning a walleye filet as most know you can "zipper" it. Cut 2 incisions about 1/2" on both sides of the middle row of bones. Grab both ends and pull apart. One piece will still have the bones on it. Grab the bones and they should come off in one clean piece.

When casting Spro frogs in the pads if you need a little more weight to get it further its easy to fix. Make a small incision in the back of the frog and insert some small pieces of broken up plastic worm for more weight. Its better than lead because it won't sink.

16. when i went camping this year i went "green". i bought a nice coleman dining set. no more paper plates, cups,plastic silverware, anything like that. i reuse my water bottles. i bought a case of cheap bottled water earlier this year. i saved the bottles. and i fill them up before i go camping then wash them when i get home. i only use eco friendly dishsoap.i also invested in 2 coolers that holds the same ice for 5 days.doing little stuff like this saves you money in the long run. also if you go to a state park and camp getting an electric site when you don't need it is a waste of money too. buy those hand cranking flashlights. i am also trying to figure out how to hard wire a power invertor to my car battery and switched to a 2 battery electrical system in my truck for camping too

17. Many years ago, I got tired of working on the bottom of my old 18Ft.T&T Thompson wood lapstrake boat to try to slow the water leakage that this type of boat is famous for. I didn't like the idea of filling the inside with water to get the seams to "close by expansion" so I bought several quarts of white epoxy enamel from a closing hardware box store and painted the entire boat(twice) with the stuff-with a paint brush! (YES you CAN paint a crack closed(with epoxy paint!) Each brush stroke smoothed itself out to the point that the boat was often mistaken for a fiberglass boat-and the leaks stopped completely! At least so for several years later when I sold it.