close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How hard is it....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Darwin, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Or is it even possible to do on your own?

My wifes 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee is having some A/C issues. It will cool down a little after it's on for a while but it does not get cold like it used too. Is there a recharge kit that I can get to recharge on my own or do you think it is something that need's to be taken into the shop to do? I consider my self a handy person so a little work doesn't scare me but I am not familiar w/air conditioning at all.
    Any help or advice would be appriciated.

2. B.P. If you can follow directions. I would do it and get a can with a gauge and do a recharge of your a/c.since you said it does get cold sometimes. I think that is all you need is some more 134a refrigerant, good luck

3. sporty

sporty OGF Team - Charter Member

I just did this for my son's car. Autozone had 134a with the gauge. Very easy and only took a few minutes.

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

yep something that takes a little figuring out, like anything else, but after you do it once or twice its almost fun.

i used to have to do my wife's car every summer but last year i used a couple cans from auto zone that had stop leak in it and this year i didnt have to do it. just make sure it has 2oz. of oil in each bottle so the system gets lubricated, just to be safe. it will say so on the bottle.

when you buy the gauge the instructions should be on the back of the package from what i remember.

if you have a leak it might be something she wants you to do every summer anyhow.

good luck.

5. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

If you are down on refrigerant, there is a reason. You can add more, but you'll find it is only a temporary fix. To fix it right, you need the system tested to find the leak.

6. When you are adding the refrigerant get a small bowl of warm tap water. Put the refrigerant can in the bowl of water while you're adding it. It helps getting all the refrigerant into the system and faster. Learned this from my truck mechanic when he charged the truck.

To add. It isn't hard at all to charge the system. Get the kit from AutoZone like sporty said. The hose coupler will only fit on the right connection so you don't have to worry if its the right one.

7. Darwin

Thank you all for your advice. I will get this taken care of this afternoon.

Thanks again!

8. Darwin

I did this Thursday after work and it took me all of 10 minutes to do. Very easy and I appriciate all of your advice!

9. Great to hear Buddy Punk. Now she will be nice and cool. The end of the week it is suppose to get up into the 90's again.