close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How hard is it to fish out of a kayak?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishmason, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Im looking for some general information on fishing out of a kayak. I own a ford explorer so transportation and storage are a concern. What kind of price range is goof for a beginner and where can i find some good kayaks? Does anyone else use this technique or can anyone provide some criticism?

2. Use small bait and hopfully you will only catch small fish......j/j. Never even though about doing it before, but is sure does sound like a good time. But id stay away for the catfish if i were you

3. JBJ

JBJ

I can't even begin to count the number of fishing "yaksmen" that come in to Galyans. It's funny how many times a customer buying a new yak there will come over to the fishing department and pick up a 2-piece rod and light spinning reel for their first trip out on the new floater.

Come on in to the store sometime and search me out in Hunt/Fish. I'll hook you up with one of our associates that handle the kayaks and we'll see if they can help you out. Don't plan on buying when you come in. Just consider it a fact finding mission. From what I've seen, there is much thought that goes into buying one of those contraptions...

Blaise
    aka "JBJ"

4. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

There are various kinds of kayaks. You don't want the round bottom that makes it easy to roll. When I was a kid I used one my brother had built. It was canvas stretched over a wood frame and painted with airplane dope. It was flat bottomed and had a keel. I saw one at Gander Mtn. that was short and looked like it would be very stable and easy to haul and store. I suppose Gaylans probably has a good selection also. You may not find these everywhere. I caught plenty of smallmouth out of mine. Plus I could carry it a long way. Heck, I may go check them out myself, that canoe is getting pretty heavy. I'd really like to have one of those Kevlar canoes. I suppose they're making kayaks out of Kevlar too, although probably pricey. Hope I have been helpful. Good luck!

5. catking

catking Banned

ROOSTER on this site fishes most of the time from one. He seems to have it down to an art form. He basses. I wouldn't recommend flathead fish out of them :D But bassin and gills would be excellent, as you can get to places nobody else can. THE CATKING !!! :)

6. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Da King could Flathead fish from a Kayak with no problem, The only problem you would have is if you actually hooked a flathead.

Elvis is in no danger of that!!

7. catking

catking Banned

You're a funny man Jackson, and not funny Ha Ha :p :p DA KING !!!

8. now thats funny.......ha ha that is

9. Having a cat drag me around a lake would be very funny.

Do you think casting range would suffer? Some presentations would be hard to pull off sitting down

10. There is nothing difficult about fishing from a kayak. No, you cannot flip and pitch, but you can get close enough to the bass to lob the bait to the same hole with the same effect. I have not had any problems with casting distance.

A kayak is without question the best fishing related purchase that I have ever made. If you are interested in fishing from a kayak, I would suggest that you first try out a few different models. If you have never been in a kayak, you will be amazed at how stable they truly are. Most outfitters have periodic on the water test drives. The model that you pick should be dependent on the type of water that you will primarily be fishing. However, most kayaks are very versatile. While kayaks are suitable for ANY body of water, they truly excel in ponds and small rivers. There are many bodies of water that I fish that cannot be reached by any other means.

It may be difficult to land a BIG Flathead in a kayak, but I did just read an article in USA Today where a kid in New England landed an 80LB striper from a kayak. A kayak can be very useful to the bank fisherman as well. That is, it can be very difficult to gain access to the best bank spots on many rivers or lakes. With a kayak, you can paddle to the best spots and fish from shore (or an island).

If you have any specific question about fishing from a kayak, I would be more than happy to help.