Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been able to take my boat out once since getting the outboard. I had way to much weight in the rear of the boat and couldn't go more than half throttle. I moved the batteries and anchor to the front of the boat and removed some other weight. When I take it out again what speed should I expect with a Mercury 9.9hp Bigfoot and a 14' Deep V? Total weight of everything including me is around 900 lbs. I'd like to have an idea before I go out again so I know whether or not everything is functioning as it should or if I need to change some more stuff around.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Depends a lot on how smooth the hull is how old the motor and how even the weight is but I think you should hit about 10 mph. If you adjust the trim and get it just right might get a few more mph.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I have had a 2 stroke 9.9 Merc. 22mph on a flat bottom jon. Now have a 4 stroke 9.9 Merc. 20mph on same type boat. This is with just me and a far lighter load than you have. I agree that you may only expect 10 to 12 mph with your boat and load.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Fast enough for pucker power. Mine has a 18hp evinrude and it runs 24mph. It is a little crazy getting it on plane. I also moved everything forward to the center of the boat. Will put a smaller one on when it's ready.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I have a very similar setup with a 9.9 yamaha. I get 12mph out of it. I have a lot of weight in front with a heavy casting deck I made for it. It went 14 without the deck after it got on plane (after I half stood in the front while helping it get there lol)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a brand new Evinrude 9.8 on an old 14' V hull. With gas, gear myself, about 230 lbs, my middle one in the middle seat 215 lbs and my oldest one in the front 175 lbs. Trimmed up to get the bow out of the water according to my GPS were cruising at 15.6 mph. I'm curious to see what we can do with just two of us in the boat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.