close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how fast too fish?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Sleprock, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

yep i fish the rivers ina canoe
    my ? is how fast do yall go, i plan short trips 5 miles or so and i end up fishing for 12 hours, am i slow or fast?

2. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Ancient Member

We usually average 1-2 mph while fishing. 12 hours to cover 5 miles seems slow to me but as long as you are catching fish does it matter?

3. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

Greg.....90 percent of the fish are in 10 percent of the water.......skip the unproductive water and you'll catch the same or better numbers in half the time.

4. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

LMRS summed it up,pick your water.
    I avg an hour/mi + or - (depending on fishing) in my boat on the river most of the time whether fishing smallies down here or steelhead or salmon up N.
    I did have an 11 hr for 7 mi multi-species day last fall on the lmr but the fishing was that good.We tried to keep track but lost count around 170-180 bewteen us.TC1

5. Tall Cool One - How many smallmouth did you catch that day? 180 fish- that's a lot of fish, what were you using?

6. LMRsmallmouth

TC1....180 between 2 folks is a GREAT day. I unfortunately have never expierenced that, but I imagine it every trip!! lol
    Now a days I am thrilled with 20 a day and that seems hard to come by. Me and a buddy did manage about 80 NICE SM between us 1 day on the NEW RIVER but never around here anymore. Might do better if I downsize but I like chasing the bigguns now :) .
    Has been a pretty good year for the bigguns!

7. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

i cant skip any water!!! that my problem, i hit the riffles and catch little ones, fish super slack water and i catch my big ones, I guess I will just bring more beer.

8. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

We got a dozen smallies between us ,none bigger'n 14" ,but tons of spots,crappie,wht bass,drum and sauger. The sauger were jumping clear of the water chasing minnies right up to our feet! Truly an amazing day! It was like,if you thought,"that looks like a good spot to cast" there'd be a fish every time. We pulled back up and floated down multiple times on some stretches. We fished low on the river and I think a lot of them were OR fish that moved in for cooler water/baitfish. That day set a very high bar for any fishery to match for #'s. Nothing big 'cept for the striper that busted my buddy off ,just a lot of fish that ran 8-12" w/ a few larger.
    80 nice smb? WOW! Now that is some serious fishing! I
    l'll trade you my #'s day on the lmr for your's on the New any day! TC1

9. LMRsmallmouth

Yeah....I'll never forget that day on the new.....on top of catching 80 SM between us, about 30 of them were 18" or better with 5 over 20". I will never see another day like that but I will continue to try every year! We caught about 70 or so between us there this spring but only a handfull over 18". Hard to beat the New River for BIG smallies!

10. slep, throw a topwater(buzzbait or spook) or a fast subsurface search bait in the dead water (90%) to cover it faster. I like to fish fast, there is no such thing as to fast. put a trolling motor on the canoe and fly through the pools, stop fpr 10-15mins at the good spots(10%) catch all the active fish and move on. they will still take a spook or buzzbait in the lmr into november alot of years so you have lots of time to keep moving fast, once it cools down you might as well fish a couple spots for an hour or two. lmrs said it right with the 90% of the water is pretty much empty, use it to your advantage.

11. I used to subscribe to the by-passing of so-called unproductive river water. However, as we found out this year, we had been missing a very productive shoreline that really didn't give the signs of being a good spot. Who knows what's under the water in some places. We have yet to fish that area without catching at least one decent smallie each time. Some water you get to know as unproductive and should be skipped. But, if you see a place where you haven't fished and just think it looks bad, give it a try. You may be surprised.

12. SConner

SConner Fish Whisperer

Unproductive water - Most of the pike I have caught this year have been from what looked like unproductive water, along with some pretty decent saugeye. If you are fishing familiar area and have never had success in an area, move on. But if floating a section you are unfamiliar with, I would go slow and check it out. This is how you find new "productive spots".