close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How does E-Coli affect the fish?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bkr43050, Jun 24, 2005.

1. I regularly fish Apple Valley Lake which is a private lake in central Ohio. Recently they announced that there was an e-coli contamination and they shut down the lake boating and swimming activities for a while. My question about it is this. I have a couple of meals of crappie and gills in the freezer that I had taken in the couple of weeks just prior to the discovery of the contamination. For all I know it was there when we took the fish. What effect does this have on the fish that we kept? My wife is concerned about it. I told her that I thought everything would be fine since the meat had been frozen and will be properly cooked before eating. Am I right in my assumption? I am sure others have face this as I hear about it happening to other lakes on occasion. It is just the first time that it has happened to me when I have fresh fish as well.

2. I'm not sure how it effects the fish. I would assume that your assumption is correct. I though they said that they weren't sure if the lake was contaminated because they took the sample too close to shore? Or is this a different lake that I'm thinking about? It would be interesting to find out though. Maybe contact the DOW they might know. Let us know what you find out.