Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going to the Michigan UP for bird hunting on federal forests. Going to be lots of twists and turns as its solid forest up there on all day hunts. I do Not have a gps and need one. However, how do you guys find your way back to the truck with NO map. I know you would look at your compass before leaving the truck. Then ill get a few hours away by foot, so how would you to return? Thanks

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Im going to the Michigan UP for bird hunting on federal forests. Going to be lots of twists and turns as its solid forest up there on all day hunts. I do Not have a gps and need one. However, how do you guys find your way back to the truck with NO map. I know you would look at your compass before leaving the truck. Then ill get a few hours away by foot, so how would you to return? Thanks
I used a compass 40+ years ago when I first started hunting. No one in my family hunted so I was solo. JUst take the direction & degree of the area your going. Come back 180 difference. I was usually pretty close even on new lands. 30 years ago I got a lowrance hand held at the sportsmans show for $80. Learn to use one & it will bring you right back quicker. I would get a gps & carry a compass for backup if you think you will have an issue. I'm sure handhelds now are way better & still not that expensive. Hope you have a great trip. Beautiful country up there.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
If you have a smart phone, Here WeGo is a gps app that is supposed to work even with out cell service. I'd check something like that out and practice with it and see if it meets your needs.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
540 Posts
make sure you're going to have service on the cell phone

·
Harry
960 Posts
I do take a compass for back. My primary means of navigating the UP and LP is “Avenza Maps” you can get the app and then go to Michigan’s DNR then to Mi-hunt. It does require a smart phone. Do the tutorial to learn how to use the Mi -hunt program. It can be used without “Avenza maps” as long as you have a signal,
For when you don’t have a signsl(most the time in the woods) If you import small areas from “mi-hunt” to Avenza then you have a gps map that will show cover types, roads, maturity of forest as well as your location.
You can import up to 3 hunting areas go Avenza for free. I think it’s around $40 annually to import unlimited number of area maps. Once you import an area to Avenza it remains on your phone and they are good maps that don’t require cell reception

·
Me fail english? That's unpossible.
1,902 Posts
The easiest way to find your way back on a trail without map or knowledge of the area is to mark your trail as you go. As for gps’s I have a garmen etrex 10 and it’s perfect for setting and saving a way point and getting back to said point. It’s affordable and it works, it does not have the greatest map features. But if you need to get back to a spot, it’s perfect for that.

I got mine on sale for only 70 dollars, I think on Amazon they’re 89.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
X2 on the " on X" for your phone... I use that everywhere… It has features for breadcrumb trails, wave points, speed, distance, yardage… Everything you need… And also maps out all public and private lands wherever you're hunting…It also has an off-line feature that still works when you have no cell signal

The only possible downside of this app on your phone is that you pay around $30 annually… Per state… I only have maps on it for Ohio and Kentucky … You would have to pay for whatever state you're going to but it's not very expensive for the service you get

·
Registered
640 Posts
I would defiantly suggest going with a stand alone gps unit over anything operated on a phone. We went to the UP last fall around this time and once you get up in there in the sh*t, there is literally ZERO cell phone service. Even all along the Lake Superior coast line there was no reception. I think Garmin makes some type of gps device you can actually text from if you need to. We are doing a 4 day 60 mile kayak trip up there next fall and defiantly plan on investing into something like that.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I used a compass 40+ years ago when I first started hunting. No one in my family hunted so I was solo. JUst take the direction & degree of the area your going. Come back 180 difference. I was usually pretty close even on new lands. 30 years ago I got a lowrance hand held at the sportsmans show for $80. Learn to use one & it will bring you right back quicker. I would get a gps & carry a compass for backup if you think you will have an issue. I'm sure handhelds now are way better & still not that expensive. Hope you have a great trip. Beautiful country up there.

I got a mini compass for a zipper that actually has a dial. So before heading out, should i move the dial 0 to north and say I enter the woods at 300. When we stop hunting head back on a heading of 120 correct? Which should be 180/across the dial.

THANKS to all the quick responses. I have an iphone but turned Everything off but the phone/text. I cant even get cell service in most of se Ohio with verizon (multi family member so no changing) but i live in the sw area. Ive been checking MichiganSportsman for awhile and they all complain about no coverage but cell is still usable with map apps too. Ive been on MI hunt and its a great site for tree cover age. My buddy is supposed to dig up his old gps and i have no idea if it works. Just wanted to know the basics before i head up there. Ive never needed one down south, but hunt the same square mile, but if i hunted more mobile down there, i would have sure to have needed one. I found a basic compass 2 hour course locally for only $15 and includes heading out to the woods for a short hands on practical except i cant make the date before my hunt trip, but want attend one.

I was hoping to get a gps at the huber heights gander going out of hunting business sale last week, but that 25% only dropped the prices down to cabelas price. went the day after the end sale date hoping they would would go down further and they had already boxed up everything left to be shipped out. Ive been looking at the garmin foretrex 601 wearable gps. I had read somewhere it has a feature that when its on, it could also be tracked on a computer app. Was thinking if im out hunting, the wife pin point if i get hurt and i never leave the woods well after dark and or check in by text for the end of day, if i was out of state.

1basshunter, Thanks for the offer, too kind i cant accept.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Whether you use a GPS or an app on a smart phone...make sure you bring spare batteries or a means to recharge your phone...both are useless if you can't turn them on. Your phone will burn through battery power in poor coverage areas trying to maintain connectivity to the cell system, in addition to running the app.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
I'll one more piece of experience… For several years I used the garmen etrex ... here's what I liked about it : it's small and compact enough to fit in your pocket, In my personal opinion, I thought it was very accurate and reliable, it got me back to within about 20 feet of my truck, every time… And if you lost the signal all you have to do is climb a hill or the top of a ridge get your signal back.
What I did not like about the garmin Is that it was very basic and even though it would give you directions back to your truck, it would give you straight line direction...And anyone who's covered ground in the woods knows that doesn't always work… LOL. No the Garman that I had was very basic… But it served it's purpose well, I'm sure a more expensive model would have given me more detail. But the above comments are absolutely not lying about extra batteries! Bring at least two sets if batteries!
A few years ago I switched to onX on my phone… I think it's still just as reliable due to the off-line feature… It will still remember the area that you're in and give you an accurate map and your current location. Here is an example of the breadcrumb trail on my onx feature...
Ecoregion Map Product World Font

The yellow markers are access points that I marked and drop the way points on… The red markers were from different trips that I marked way points for catching fish...You can see the blue marker where I marked where I found some ducks… And the heavy blue dotted line is my breadcrumb trail that I hiked... The red lines are private lands, and the light blue shaded area is public wildlife hunting area.
I just took a screenshot on my phone so if I was at the spot it would show a small blue dot with an arrow and telling you the direction you are facing… It is very accurate and very reliable… The off-line feature That you see on the black bar on the bottom is very useful… Turn that on and your cell signal is not required. If I had to list any drawbacks I would say that the red property lines are tax assessment lines and they are not always completely accurate… But they were accurate enough to keep me from wondering where I shouldn't. I'll also add that the picture I posted is a large area… You can zoom in just like on any phone, zoom in with your fingers… And get really good detail

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
I got a mini compass for a zipper that actually has a dial. So before heading out, should i move the dial 0 to north and say I enter the woods at 300. When we stop hunting head back on a heading of 120 correct? Which should be 180/across the dial.

THANKS to all the quick responses. I have an iphone but turned Everything off but the phone/text. I cant even get cell service in most of se Ohio with verizon (multi family member so no changing) but i live in the sw area. Ive been checking MichiganSportsman for awhile and they all complain about no coverage but cell is still usable with map apps too. Ive been on MI hunt and its a great site for tree cover age. My buddy is supposed to dig up his old gps and i have no idea if it works. Just wanted to know the basics before i head up there. Ive never needed one down south, but hunt the same square mile, but if i hunted more mobile down there, i would have sure to have needed one. I found a basic compass 2 hour course locally for only $15 and includes heading out to the woods for a short hands on practical except i cant make the date before my hunt trip, but want attend one.

I was hoping to get a gps at the huber heights gander going out of hunting business sale last week, but that 25% only dropped the prices down to cabelas price. went the day after the end sale date hoping they would would go down further and they had already boxed up everything left to be shipped out. Ive been looking at the garmin foretrex 601 wearable gps. I had read somewhere it has a feature that when its on, it could also be tracked on a computer app. Was thinking if im out hunting, the wife pin point if i get hurt and i never leave the woods well after dark and or check in by text for the end of day, if i was out of state.

1basshunter, Thanks for the offer, too kind i cant accept.
Brother I'm just gonna say this once… If you don't have a lot of experience with a basic compass… Do not use it… Get yourself a handheld GPS or a phone app
You even said in your original post that there are a lot of twists and turns… I personally do have a lot of experience using a basic compass on long trips… And I'm telling you, it's nothing near as simple as you think it is.

Get. The. GPS.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Youre above posted plan for walking in one direction on the compass and then heading in the opposite direction on the way back is a guaranteed flop… I can tell you that... because as soon as you get 1 mile in and see some better grounds to hunt to the left or right… You're going to go to that to hunt it… I did that my first year and it's not a great plan… If you really don't have the money then I would say just getting a good map and studying it when you park your truck to access the hunting… Look closely at the road system… That's your biggest help… That's what I would do at first, I would look at a map and the road system surrounding the area I want to hunt and say " In a 3 mile radius I am completely surrounded by roads… So no matter which way I walk I will eventually hit a road and can always take the roads back to my truck… It's crude but can keep you from getting lost.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
A good map with latitude lines, a good compass and a pencil. If your hiking a long ways find the inclination degrees for the region. (Triangulation)
(No batteries required)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts