close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How Do You Split Your Time?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ruminator, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I was just thinking about how much time I spend visiting here at OGF and other fishing sites compared to reading fishing magazines or watching fishing shows.

Per week I average:

1. OGF and other fishing web sites : 14 - 17 hrs. (mostly here)

2. reading fishing mags: 2-3 hrs. (subscribe to 3)

3. watching fishing shows: 0 hrs.

For me personally, the internet is a clear winner.

Kind of looks like a passion, not just a sport. :D
    How about you guys?
    How do your hours break down personally? ;)

1.- fishing sites
    2.- fishing mags
    3.- fishing shows

2. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

about the same:

OGF 15 hrs or so a week give or take probably more at times
    magazines bassin, bassmaster, in fisherman, field stream couple hrs read them at work
    shows don't watch much tv

All 3 combined more time than wife would like. LOL

3. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

Winter time I spend 15hrs+ internet fishing, I've taped alot of fishing shows over the years and start the winter out rewatching the oldest ones first, tv7/8 hrs. I'm only subscribed to in-fish and bassmaster anymore and I'm about to drop in-fish, so only 1 hr for the rags.
    1. Internet
    2. TV
    3. Magazines
    My wife doesn't complain too much and actually watches some of the shows.
    Summer cut all that by more than half, I'm FISHIN :D

4. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I spend way to much time on here, most likely 20-25 hours a week or more. But hey, I'm retired, it's to wet, to cold to fish and my boat is stored. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!.
    Magazines? maybe 3 hours a week, I love to read.
    TV shows? 4 hours a week. Usually Saturday mornings and some Sundays.
    I'll also add in 3-4 hours a week making tackle, repairing tackle etc. Getting ready for this season. Looks like we all need to get out more and fish :p

5. catking

catking Banned

Internet fishing sites......... This one in particular........ :D ........How much ?? Just a bit............... THE CATKING !!!

6. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I would like to fish a LOT more, but my job prevents that. MY wife is surprisingly tolerant of my fishing.

I spend about the average amount of time on here. I read more than respond, but thats changing as I learn more.

7. Internet: I'd say I spend at least 20 hours checking fishing sites (primarily this one). I spend most of my days on the 'puter so it's pretty easy to sneak a peak at this site several times a day.

Mags: I subscribe to 3 but how much I read them depends on how much time I spend on the can ;)

TV Shows: Don't usually watch 'em although I will watch tournament shows if I remember when they are on.

Steve

8. rockbass

rockbass Banned

winter is totally different for me than the warmer months of course!
    I spend a good bit of time on OGF due to the fact that a lot of my work is either on the computer or sitting and printing invoices and running a machine. I have time to sit on here and look around and respond basically. If I am not working I am not on here at all though. In winter, I watch Tv shows on Saturdays. Mostly Spike TV and the various car and truck shows they have on there. Also will try to catch fishing and sometimes hunting on OLN. On the weekends I have my daughter, there is also some cartoons in there too. When it is decent out and I don't have to work at either job, I go fishing of course. During the nicer months, I spend more afternoons/nights fishing than I spend doing anything else. Except work of course. The fishing Mags all depend on how much time I sit on the can and read them :eek: :cool:

9. If Da-King has 4000 post hangin' out just a bit, I'd hate to see your post count if you were full time :p

I'd have to say the majority of my time is spent on websites. My daily routine is to check out OGF, OHF, muskiesinc and the Brotherhood of Catfishermen websites. After that I move onto the browns and indians sites. If there's any time I left I do a little work before going home.

Magazines, I read some but not alot. Once every two months I read Musky Hunter and on occasion in-fisherman.

TV: I catch in-fishermen once in a while and Joe Bucher in the summer when he's fishing. Other than that I like to try catching Trucks! on Spike TV

Stripping, sanding and re-carpeting my boat is eating up most of my time lately. Fortunately, it'll be done soon and then it'll be time to start fishin' instead of yakin' about fishin ;) :D

Barry

10. Please, don't confuse me with Dale :eek: even though I'm copying part of his post. :p :D

I spend way to much time on here, most likely 20-25 hours a week or more. But hey, I'm retired, it's to wet, to cold to fish and my boat is stored. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!.
    Magazines? maybe 3 hours a week, I love to read.
    TV shows? 4 hours a week. Usually Saturday mornings and some Sundays.

Guess us good looking, retired old farts all do pretty much the same thing. :rolleyes:

11. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Must be a retired thing we have Shorty. Gotta love it though!

12. I would say, 25-30 hrs on the site and surfing other fishing websites. Then, it's at least 3-4 hrs of watching fishing/outdoor shows on TV, then it's delving into SSA outdoor club stuff, coming up with ideas for promotions, etc., for both. The amount of time I spend on-line will go down exponentially when we get ice. Won't be long now...

13. Sometimes It Seems Like Itll Never Get Here,but Then To Soon At Others! I Would Like To Have More Time To Fish But My 4 Boys Keep Me Hoppin! :) After Work Its Home To Wrestle. Ats All A Master Plan Because Theyll Love To Fish!
    25%-work
    75%-play Life Is Great! :d

14. I don't go to any other fishing related websites...
    hmnmnmnn I'd say around 15-20 hrs a week...

15. I am in the same boat as Shortdrift and Dale M. During this time of the year I spend alot of time on this site, just gathering info and getting ready for spring, or ice, which ever comes first. I hardly ever watch TV, although I love to read. I also do reel maintenance and make my own spinners at this time of year.

16. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I would be interested in knowing how a LOT more of you juggle your "fishing media" time. Has the internet bumped the others out from 1st place for you also? ;)

17. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

Definatly internet here also with reading and studying about fishing second.

18. Retired.......do whatever...whenever. And it sure is nice! Just ask any of us elderly fellows. Lol.

19. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Guys, I'm interested in seeing specifically how you split your time with this....in a generic fashion. I'm not trying to pry into your personal life.

If this doesn't work, I'll try to think of how to make it a poll.

20. OK now I see... don't have to hit me over the head more then 5-6 times...
    1.-fishing/hunting sites:
    95% and that depends of course on the time of year because fishing and hunting overlap a couple times for me... I lean more towards hunting but with the longer fishing seasons I spend more time with that aspect...

2.- fishing mags .5% I'll pick one up then flip through only to drop it down in disgust 99% of the time....

I really have no use for them and simply think they are over rated... I hate reading about how this writer or that writer jumps onto some bandwagon about this technique or product only to change up to something else next year just for the sake of having something else to write about making, in my eyes, what he writes about BS...

3.- fishing shows I don't watch TV but may catch a show if at someones house but don't have a use for them now... I did when younger and watched everything I could... little wiser with my time now LOL

I spend 99% of my time on the internet when I need information because magazines, newspapers and TV can be so full of BS leaning more towards products then results... TV shows are misleading when it looks like they were done in one day instead of over several and even more...
    The internet gives me more reliable information once I weed through the (that word again) BS...
    I really enjoy forums and learn more in them then any other venue and no longer visit any other forums or fishing related websites but this one...