Ohio Game Fishing banner

How do you keep your catch while on the water?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  silverbullet 
#1 ·
Looking for ideas on keeping my catch while out fishing. Would prefer a cooler to throwing a stringer over the side, but open to ideas. Found a thread on here but it was over 8 years old, what's the new hotness now?

My first thought is a decent soft side cooler I can fit behind the seat, maybe a 24-30 can cooler.

#2 ·
I c&r now, but when I was keeping my fish I used a soft sided cooler as you mentioned. I brought ice packs with me to keep the fish cold. It is definitely problematic storing the fish in the small confines of a kayak. Also, if it is a hot summer day and you are out all day and you catch some keepers early in the morning, trying to keep them cooled down all day. To me the stringer over the side would cause a lot of drag while paddling.

#9 ·
I was using a mid size Engel Cooler which barely fit behind my seat and left no room for tackle crate. It was nice as it has built in rod holders and was big enough for most fish your keep inland. But I found it didn’t work for Erie walleye (a good problem to have) and wanted room for more tackle, so I switched to a soft sided cooler backpack I found on amazon. I think it’s brand is something buffalo. It’s 30 quarts and it’s tall, can fit a 36” fish easily. Has straps so I buckle it to the back of my seat and throw frozen bottles of water or half bag of ice for the day. It stays out of the way being vertical and works well enough. Just toss fish in and close. It’s not going to keep fish cold three days but is plenty till you get on land to filet. Bonus is that it was under 30 bucks. There are similar coolers made to fit the bow shape and hatches of several kayak brands but all I’ve found sre pretty expensive. I can post a pic/link if interested.

#16 ·
I switched over to a soft sided cooler. I throw a bag of ice in it and it will last for the trip. One thing I do though is after I land the fish I will put it on a stringer and bleed it, then after 15 minutes or so I’ll drop it into the bag. Seems to work very well for me. Everyone has different room so a hard sided cooler will work if you have room. My old kayak had storage in the hull I turned into a fish box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.