close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you guys feel about hydrofoils?

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by smallmouth28, Jun 2, 2005.

1. I am considering getting a hydrofoil for my Evinrude 115 to help me get up on plane. I am wondering what you guy's think of them and what kind is the best. Thanks!

2. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I've tried a few over the years. Never really noticed any improvement. If you're having a problem getting on plane quickly, I'd make sure that your motor is propped correctly first.

3. They seem to get mixed reveiws. They absolutely will help you get on plane quicker, but so may changing the tilt of your motor, a different pitched prop, or a few other things. I bought one for slower speeds when the bow of my boat would point up far enough I could barely see. The downside was that my motor was mounted too low, and it caused drag and a loss of speed at WOT. I made a bracket to lift the motor up and no longer needed the hydrofoil. From what I've read, Doel Fins seem to be considered the best in most cases.

4. I Have 1 And Love It......