close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how do you fix your fish?

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by Elamenohpee, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Fillet and skin, remove belly and back fat, poach and add fish to a recipe.

2.5%
  2. Gut and scale, cut off the head, batter dip or breaded then fried.

7.5%
  3. Fillet and skin, remove belly and back fat, Cook on the grill.

2.5%
  4. Smoked

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Fillet and skin, remove belly and back fat dip in batter and deep fry.

67.5%
  6. There aint no wrong way to cook a fish

27.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Elamenohpee

Elamenohpee Banned

Pick your favorite, but comment on any of them :) ;)

2. rockbass

rockbass Banned

Well I went with filet and batter dip, but really though, is there a wrong way to do it?? :D

3. Fix my fish!??? My fish isn't broken!:D (a little humor). No, seriously I scale & filet, dip in egg wash, then bread with cracker crumbs & fry in oil - oooooo YUMMY! (From the wife: I never complain!!!!!)

4. Fried fish, grilled fish, baked fish, broiled fish, boiled fish, smoked fish, fish soup, fish chowder, fish kabobs, fish cakes, fish patties, fish salad pickled fish and raw fish. I think that covers every way I have ever prepared fish.

Wes

5. I chose deep fried but it really depends on the kind of fish. Some fish I do skin and trim belly fat.(eyes, pike, etc.) Others like panfish I do not. Most often though they end up pan fried, lightly battered. Others I enjoy baking (salmon,haddock, flounder, etc.) I just don't like doing too much to them that will mask the good natural flavor.

6. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

mmmmmmm....deep fried walleye or perch fillets dipped in my own shrimp sauce....

my shrimp sauce:

some ketchup (maybe 1 cup?)
    squirt of lemon juice
    squirt of hot sauce
    a few teaspoons of ground horseradish to taste

mix it up and eat!

you know you put enough horseradish in when your nostrils burn!! :p

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Giant eagle gets EXCELLENT sea bass from Chile, I like to take a 1-person portion, salt and pepper it, take a regular brown paper bag and coat inside and out with olive oil. Throw the fish in the bag, and throw a mix of soy sauce, fresh ginger and minced garlic on top (just a couple of tablespoons per bag). Roll up bag really tight to seal, and bake in 350degree oven for 25 minutes. You'd be amazed how good it tastes.

8. Man!, you guys are makin' me hungry! I'm gonna have to some of them redears I've got in the freezer tonite![​IMG]

9. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

i'll second what roger said.. those chilian seabass are awesome.. i do the same thing as yours but i steamed it instead of putting it in the oven..yumm..

10. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I usually pan fry everything after coating with egg and ShoreLunch Breading.
    Sometimes I will bake a fish in various ways.

11. Me and my pals at our local hang out prefer . perch and crappie fillets dipped in Mccormichs Cajun Seasoning dip. Deep fried in commercial fryer to a golden brown . Regardless of how many pounds I cook up there are never any leftovers to bring home. In fact I was instructed to catch enough fish to hold superbowl get together at my place. They will bring beer and fries. Hope this years ice fishing is at least fairly productive.

12. No wrong way for me cept...
    My favorite way is to put on some homefries while camping then take a few panfish and scale them but leave on the skin and then fillet but when doing so do not cut all the way through the belly so that when done the fillet is still one whole fish but now called a butterfly fillet...
    Then I drop them into a pan with butter skin side down salt/pepper to taste and when starting to turn a little white on the edges I'll bust an egg into the top and bottom part of the butter fly fillet ans salt/pepper the egg. When the egg is ready to flip I flip the egg and fish together since they are now one and finish frying til lthe egg is like I like it which is easy over...
    A little fire made toast and jam along with hot coffee and the homefries and you've just ate one of the best bankside/camping meals you can make ;)

Now you can also take the butterfly fillet and toss it lightly with some seasoned flour then fill it with your favorite stuffing such as mushrooms, cheese, celery, green peppers and butter. Fold the fish back over itself so it looks like a whole fish again and then ensure no stuffing mixture comes out then dip in egg and then into bread crumbs and pan fry or bake, even bake in foil over a bed of coals from your campfire... NUMMY...
    I could go on and on LMAO

13. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

catch&release :)

14. Deep fried in Grandpa Tims of course!;)

I do have to say that the best fish I ever had was in the B.W.C.A. We caught some lake trout took them back to camp cleaned them and cooked them on the hot griddle with butter and lemon pepper over the fire, the fish went from the lake to the griddle in about 5 minutes! The sun was setting and the sky over the lake was the brightest purple and pinks you have ever seen. The water was perfectly still and reflected the sky like a mirror, ok so the setting had something to do with it but the fish was awsome.

15. One thing about those chilean sea bass, they really are not sea bass. I forget what kind of fish they are, some relation to cod I think, but when they tried to market them at first nobody would buy it because of the name of the fish, nobody know what it was. Well some one decided to call them chilean sea bass and people starting buying them. They sure do taste good, when it really cold out and I dont want to fire up the gril I put them on the george forman grill with a little butter and lemon pepper and they turn out great.