close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how do u freeze walleye?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Justin S, May 22, 2007.

1. Justin S

Justin S c-ya on the water

i have heard that some people soak it in brine before freezing, but i was curious what preperations do u guys do before u freeze it.

thanks

2. just cut your fillets out and freeze them in water.you can use 1/2 gal milk containers to freeze them in. taste as good as fresh.make sure they are covered with water.

3. I do mine in water and heavy duty Zip-Lock bags. With the date and number of fillets in each bag. Seems to work alright.

4. Toxic

Toxic Defensor Fortis

I do the same exact thing. I limit my fillets to 6 to a bag and I label what (perch, walleye, etc) is in the bag as well.

5. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

anybody freeze them whole, if you get them in on ice and in the freezer asap, Tried it on some fish from a trip to canada one year and they tasted great when we filleted them, Being frozen on the inside seemed to help keep the fittets fresh right into the pan. Anybody use this method? s

6. rutty

rutty Cowboy Charters

I have froze them whole before just because I was too lazy the night that I caught them and didn't want to clean them then. Other than that, I use the ziplock bag method with water and a couple of shakes of salt in the water. Seems to work great.
    I have also vaccuum sealed them, water and ziplock seem to keep the fish a little fresher IMO.

7. Thawing out is also important.
    Overnight in the fridge, making sure they stay below water level.

8. fugarwi7

fugarwi7 Lumberjack

Putting them in the freezer works best! :D :D

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I fillet them, zipper them out, and then cut them into pieces. I then put all of the pieces in a large sauce pan/pot. I rinse them over and over, and spin them around in the water like a washing machine about four times (you ought to see the water after the first two cycles, it's disgusting).

Then they go into freezer bags (with water) that are labeled with the date, number of servings, and what kind of fish it is.

Attached Files:

10. I usually vacuum seal all my fish unless I'm going to eat them right away. I put enought for a 2 person meal on sheet of saran wrap and wrap them up. then I vac seal about 4 of those in one bag. I can then take one or two of the individual packages out (wrap against sharp edge of counter) then re-seal the bag.
    Kohl's generally has great deals on the Tillia food saver sealers if you watch their ads.
    Mike