close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

how do i tell if i have AGP or PCI supported pc?

Discussion in 'Computing & Gaming Discussions' started by iam20fan, Aug 5, 2007.

1. i have a dell dimension 2400. 4 years old. looking to upgrade the video card,to play some counterstrike with my buddies.

2. From what I read on c-net, the dimension 2400 has 3 pci slots, but no agp.

3. KaGee

KaGee Monkeywrench Staff Member

4 year old computer does not have the backbone to properly play games on-line, even if you did have an AGP slot. You would be unhappy with the latency and play of the games.

The only way to play on line is via an Xbox. Everyone's machine is the same so gameplay is more enjoyable. Occasionally somebody's ISP connection lags, but if it gets too severe, they lag out of the game. I really enjoy Xbox live.

With PC gaming, you NEVER have the proper machine... every new game always seem to require more new hardware to run properly. Just my .02 worth.

4. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

I kinda agree KaGee, however I recently obtained an Alienware M5000 and I tell ya.....IM impressed

5. i couldnt disagree more.

i've been playing online games on PC for ...well..since Doom2. under normal circumstances, a 4 y/o gaming pc should be able to play counterstrike. that's an older game, right?

anyway, from what i see here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/techov.htm#1105465 you only have PCI slots. i'm not too familiar with counterstrike....but an older card like this might help:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...&Sku=B52-1022&SRCCODE=PSCANDF&CMP=OTC-PSCANDF

but then, your CPU or RAM might become the bottleneck. good luck.

6. I agree with below. I take pc over xbox/ps3 for online anyday. I find it much better for fps'. Also, much better mmorpg selection.

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

I don't agree with what you said about PC gaming but I do agree with this completely. XBL is amazingly fun and easy.

8. thanks everyone for the help.

9. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

The differance is plain.The AGP sots are the older and thus newer computers have non.The PCI is a newer thing and all lattest computers got them.And yep the PCI is faster by far.why they used it in new ones.The AGP is slow and dead as far as computers goes.The cards are a differant pin configure thus are not inter change able.Will not go in slot other then they are for.though they look simular.ones slightly farther back in slot then other thus to keep them from being inserted in wrong slots.Ebay has these and the AGP are cheap as no one wants them.if you do get one likely older version and not up to par over the newer one thats PCI. hope this info is of help.I got a computer I made up 3 years ago and it has just one AGP slot and I got my Rage in it.back then the rage I got was top 3D thing.plus the AMD chip was suppose to be tops in 3D back then.never really use the computer any more.it is a 2 gb chip.

10. you're talking about new PCI Express slots.

he's asking about AGP vs PCI (non-express) slots on 4 y/o mobo (or so i'm assuming)...

11. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

I just read it again.he was after a faster Video card thus want info on witch to buy.think he had no AGP slot and was wanting use that type.I was telling him that the PCI slots the newer faster better to go with.and if ever gets a new computer all will fit it.if the older AGP card it will be near worthless now and if ever gets new computer be worth nothing at all.as the last few years I seen non in any new computers..Back to this issue I seen where in a mag that the new vista will not work with lots the newer high end Video cards.and you need get a speceil one that has drivers for the Vista or your out of luck.Thats the PCI type cards.Well enough here on that.My 3 D card thats in my computer and is a AGP one works just fine.but I do not recommend you get one.I payed around 100 for it.today if and only if you got a AGP slot is it worth anything.if not then 2 cents be about the going price of it.as what heck else can you use it for if no slot for it..

12. i'm not going to even pretend i can follow what your saying. :D

13. Eriesteamer, I realize you are trying to help but you are really confusing everyone. I apologize if this sounds harsh, I don't mean it to be that way, but I feel compelled to respond for the sake of others reading this thread.

As stated by amorican (which you seem to have missed) PCIe slots are newer than AGP, PCI slots have been around forever. You are talking about PCIe, not PCI. The original poster (OP) does not have PCIe slots.

This is irrelevant as he only has PCI slots on an older Dell.

You are confusing people again. Firstly, you are talking about PCIe cards which are completely irrelevant to the OP. Furthermore, what you are purporting here is ridiculous FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). The drivers have been fixed for several months. These issues were possibly relevant back when Vista was being beta-tested and MAYBE shortly after launch. Let me guess...you have a subscription to Maximum PC.

Regarding the OP's question:

If you want to play the original Counterstrike (CS)...your computer is likely fine. That game is very old, based on the quake 2 engine which was made back when most people didn't have 3D Accelerated cards.

If your buddies are playing Counterstrike:Source (CS:S), then that is a different story. Valve (the Counterstrike publisher) updated CS to the Source engine which is way more advanced and is much more dependent on newer DirectX 9 (DX9) standard. So, to really run CS:S at what most people consider playable resolutions, detail settings and frame rates, you need a DX 9 card. I believe you can get an nV FX5200 in PCI flavors, which would support DX9, and it might be playable for you at low resolutions like 640 x 480 or 800 x 600.

Now I will spare you additional technical details, but suffice to say that the PCI bus communicates with the rest of you computer much slower than AGP or PCIe, so that will limit your performance. Furthermore the bus width on the memory on PCI slots is only 64-bit so the memory buffer is slow and that limits your performance too. Long term, if you want to game with CS:S or newer 3D engines, you really need to upgrade your entire machine. For now though:

Here are some DX9 compliant upgrades you may consider:

nV FX 5500 PCI

FX 5200

ATi x1300 (128 bit bus) I strongly suspect that any enhancement you might get with the 128-bit memory bus on this card would be negated by the transfer rate of the PCI Bus with the rest of your system, so I would advise you to save some money and go with one of the above cards.

Note: If you are unfamiliar with newegg, have no qualms about ordering from them. They are top notch.

Edit: KaGee I have much respect for your fishing skills, but I have to respectfully disagree with some of what you have said...

Latency has nothing to do with the video card and little to do with anything else except (numerous) network connection variables.

This is your opinion and you are entitled to it, but there is little merit in what you assert.

In reality, the only thing the Xbox does is make sure everyone has the same resolution and framerate. These things are of questionable relevance to a gamers skill. The only thing that can give a gamer an unfair advantage is latency and this is only relevant in First Person Shooter (FPS) games. Most games have criteria built into their netcode that limits the advantages enjoyed by low latency players. Still it is always better to have low latency. And with an XBox,, just like in PCs, the latency is more dependent on the internet connection than anything else.

14. geek.

;)

15. Rugged Seahorse

Rugged Seahorse sander vitreus slayer

Who do you think you are? Tom Halfhill????

Attached Files: