close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How did you lose your rod and reel?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cheezemm2, Jul 1, 2005.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

After reading the mosquito thread, I figured this would be a good post...I know we don't wanna talk about/remember some of our "moments" but unfortunately we all have em.

My personal experience comes from a brand new uglystik 6'6(two piece)....while catfishing at the piedmont dam, down by the large slabs, I got hung up...tried to work the bait free and the two piece rod suddenly became one as I watched the other half of the rod do a zip line down into the water.....went out the next day with a snorkeling mask and got it...Talk about times when you feel :confused:

2. BigChessie

BigChessie BIG PIMPIN' "GIGELO"

Lets just say SCIOTO RIVER CARP + UNATTENDED POLE = GONER I would rather not speak anymore on the subject.

3. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I've lost at least 4 poles that way. You would think one learns after the first or second time.....

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Never lost one...yet. I've had two drop over the side while trolling, pulled loose on a turn, I have marker bouys and immeadiately dropped one over. Then I put on a casting spoon & snagged them back up. Lucky..yes. Seems like it happend once in a spillway too, and my son snagged it back.

5. UFM82

UFM82 The one others want to be

But I have another story as well. I lost one rod over the side about 10 years ago in Cumberland. We were houseboating with a bunch of people and I had set a couple cat rods out on the front deck. I wasn't catching anything so I wasn't to worried about securing them. Well, you know the story- I hear a "thud" and turn to see my rod just kind of dribble off the deck into the drink. If you've ever been on Cumberland, you know the banks are steep and nothing but loose rock. I figured the rod was now in 50"+ of water and pretty much knew it was hopeless. I didn't have anything to dredge with so I wrote it off to bad luck and went about my business.

The next night we were again hanging out on the front deck when my buddy's rod drops. He sets the hook on a small fish and reels it up. He gets the little 1 lb channel to the boat and says that he snagged my line. I look at him and tell him that I don't even have a rod out. Well I've got somebody's line he says. I go look at the fish and sure enough, there is a line all wrapped up around his. We drag up the line and there comes my rod to the surface. So, the fish found my rod for me! We were kind and released that fish for his efforts. LOL

That is still the oddest recovery story I know.

UFM82

6. When my boat capsized in Lake Erie, I lost 6 ros/reel combos with dipsey's jets etc. It was 3 miles NE of hotwaters-if ya hookem I'll give ya a reward!!!!!!

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I lost a couple when I was a kid, but not recently, knock on wood.
    BUT....

A few yeats ago on Lake Vermillion in Minnesota, my uncle was 2 feet from me, throwing a Clown Colored Husky Jerk for Northern (see how well I remembered) well he did something & the rod kept on going out of his hand. It was a GLoomis & a Pinnacle Reel. OUCH..... some $. We dragged the bottom for a very long time, never did find the rod. He was not happy!

8. I've got a few.......

When I was in my teens we would set out one rod with a bluegill under a big bobber and cast with another for bass. I'm halfway around this pond and a kid starts yelling "your rods going in!!!" (why he did'nt grab it who knows) I do the 100 yd dash in 2 seconds flat and jump in the water to my neck and grab it. Had a 24" catfish on it.

Fishing the maumee for walleye I got hung-up and tried to snap it loose and it poped out of my hand (idiot). The river was packed so I just sat on the bank and had a smoke. By the time I finished it someone had my rod back for me.

My son was always losing fishing rods in our backyard pond and I could not figure out where they were going. I watched what he was doing and he was throwing out a crawler on a bobber then going to play with his sister while he waited for a fish. I have been raking the weeds out of the pond the last week or so and have recovered 2 set-ups so far. Needless to say I have had him change his techique.

2 weeks ago fishing the Serpent river in Ontario my buudy puts line on his brand new out of the box reel and on his third cast manages to throw the whole rig in. I rigged up a retriving device with a bottom bouncer and some old deep divers with plenty of hooks and got it back for him. Man was he hot when he lost it, even madder at the others in the boat because we were laughing so hard.

9. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

G3HP200 accidently knocked it in when he was gettin' the net for a big smallie I had ahold of at Berlin. It was around a $200 combo, Shimano Curado + All Star Rod

10. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

which one? :rolleyes:
    one in particular,i lost and recovered twice :D
    first time,it was yanked in by my outboard,and later snagged by mrfish(thanks again jim) :)
    second time it was "kidnapped" by a jetski,and retrieved by myself.but the jetjerk retrieved my hook,line and sinker from his intake,after a couple hours of surgery :D
    won't go into all the others i've lost in various ways over the years.some recovered,some not :rolleyes:

11. 2 steps away from rod, carp fishin at night...... well you know!

12. So far I haven't ever lost one. I came close once to a carp.

What I would like to know is. In some of these post, I see that this person or that person went to cast and threw the whole thing in. Now how do you do that? I mean how can you not remember to hold on to your pole? I find that very very funny. Man what I would give to see somebody actually do it.

13. i wish i could hook a fish that would bend my rod :p

14. Last year my partner got a bite while trolling and before he could get to the back of the boat his rod holder broke loose and rod., reel, rod holder and all went in the lake. I looked back and said its floating, so we turned around and got it. He started reeling in and said I have a fish on. 7 1/2 pound walleye.

This spring while fishing around N Bass Island my partner was netting a fish for me. His shirt sleve got ahold of my other reel and pulled it up out of the rod holder and away it went. Daiwa SG27LC on an 8'3" Ugly Stick, With braided line. Sure miss that outfit.

15. EDD

EDD BASS BUM

In the last 5 minutes of a bass tournment ,caught a bass needed 1 more for a limit ,while unhooking the bass throw the butt of the pole I thought on the front deck, but it was it was right on the edge of the boat.So I unhooked the bass and throw the lure over the side.Put the fish in the live well then started looking for my pole , wasn't there ( I throw it over)

16. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

I haven't lost one but my father lost so many we lost count.

While on Erie in the 80's my boss and I would take customers to Erie fishing on his boat. I was letting a customer use my Fenwick HMG rod and shimano reel. While he was making a cast he just let go of it and it sailed out across the water and disappeared. He just looked at me and said " I need another rod", never sorry or anything. :mad: I was pissed to say the least. That was my best outfit and I sure didn't have any spare money in those days to easily replace it. It really hurt!

Did anyone ever find it? :) , It was Sugar Rock Reef

17. LOL

So far I, I hvae not lost any. I broke one yesterday. The other one has cracks in it.

Had one get yanked out of my canoe. It was so quick. There wasnt any time to react. Afterwards, all I could do for 5 minutes was sit there with my mouth open. Then I noticed the grip floating, so I got my rod and reel back and a cat FISH.

18. For christmas i got a nice combo, prolly around 150 bucks, and used all during the walleye run in the maumee. When i say walleye run i say the term loosely, cause I didnt catch one damn one. Finally during the white bass run I caught my first walleye of the year, and was estatic. Only when i had the eye on my stringer, the metal clip popped out and i almost lost the fish, so I use both hands to keep it on, not thinking fast enough that i dropped my rod to do it. And the story goes that I was done fishing for the day.