close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How Delaware Rates for Bass

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tredder, Sep 3, 2007.

1. I don't hear much about the bass fishing at Delaware Lake and was wondering how you would rate it? How's the population and size of bass caught there. Say, on a scale from 1-10, with 10 being the highest score.

2. Delaware is my favorite lake to fish for bass. I would give it an 8.5

There are a lot of keepers and dinks in there. There are more of those than big fish, but there are some toads in there. While pre-fishing for a tourny, my best 5 for two days( one of the days was right after a cold front) woudl have pushed 15lbs. Now that was pre fishing...I woudl catch two out of an area and move on...I could only imagine what the weight could have been if I would have milked those areas for all thier worth.

3. I don't know if I would rate Delaware that high. There are bass in the lake. If you are there at the right time the bite can be fantastic with some big fish. For the most part, the bite is spotty. I do much better at Alum Creek. I would rate Delaware maybe a 4.5.

LoweBoat

4. Thanks for the replies. I went there today and caught a few small ones. I'm sure that there's a better summer pattern that I needed to know, but it's a scenic lake anyway. It surprised me that there's no significant weed growth and the lake seemed really low I'm not going to give up on it yet though, so I'll give it another shot tomorrow. If anyone who's familiar with the lake and has found a general pattern working that they don't mind sharing, shoot me a PM.

5. I think alto of it has to do with knowledge of a lake. At Delaware, I can consistantly catch numbers of good bass.....but this year alone I have fished Delawatre almost 40 times. I know the lake well, and being able to adapt to Ohios weather conditions play a huge roll in it.

But put on ALum, and I may struggle because I only fish it around 5 times a year. So having knowledge in a body of water has a huge impact on how I rate the fishery.

Tredder- shoot me a PM and I may be able to help you.

6. The reason I rate Delaware so low is because of all the dinks I catch. I too consistently catch bass there. They are just small. I agree knowledge of the lake is an important part of catching fish. After 30 years of fishing it, I think I know the lake pretty well.
    I also believe if Delaware were a privately owned lake and properly managed it could be a premier bass lake. Ohio's weather conditions are a major factor in catching fish on this lake.

LoweBoat

7. [
    LoweBoat[/QUOTE] " properly managed" These two words do not apply to any waters in Central Ohio. :D

'

8. Yeah...there are plenty of dinks there...but there are a lot of 3-5lbers, too.

9. " properly managed" These two words do not apply to any waters in Central Ohio. :D

I agree with that. I'd love to see someone that knew what they were doing take over the management of some of the lakes here. There are a lot of nice lakes here that with a little work could be great fishing. As long as ODNR has them they will never be what they could be.

LoweBoat

10. We recently won a B.A.I.T tournament at Delaware not too long ago. There were 31 boats and we brought in 8.29lbs to take 1st. Second was Smith & Hall with 7 and a halfish.

There are a lot of 11 inch fish in there. I had three spots I rotated through during the tournament and got one off each, then kind of established a pattern through that to finish the limit.

Goodluck, try banks with cover on them close to deep water if you're not having any luck, they will almost always have some fish in the summer.