Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my boat out a few weeks ago with LMJ to fish EF and when we got there in the morning there were large carp jumping all over the place. I was lucky enough to catch one by the tail on a prior trip while trolling a crank bait. He put a an awesome fight.

Should I use chicken liver and anchor in one spot or is there another way to catch them when they are in their morning jumping phase?

Does anyone know why the jump so much?

Thanks,

BlueWater

·
Registered
431 Posts
not sure on your question BUT....................

i have been over to the spillway the past two weekends and no lie, there have been about 50+ carp just swimming at the top of the water. towards the middle. you could see them, water was clear enough. i saw everyone throwing there baits right on them and nothing was biting.

i am more of a bass angler so wasnt interested. but the carp are out like crazy!

·
Registered
954 Posts
That lake if full of big buffs. I snagged one by accident last week and it took me a good 15 minutes to get it to the boat. A buddy of mine caught a 16 lber trolling a Gizz 3 deep diver and that fish was hooked right in the mouth. I'm not sure how to catch them on purpose, but the way they pull, I'm willing to learn. From what I've been told, they will hit the same baits as the common carp. wheaties, corn and prepared concoctions. Might try the carp section for this question.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I caught a ten pounder there on an UL rattle trap. Thought I had a striper. As it turns out, the lure and line had somehow lassoed the fish's tail, wrapping around only once and hooking back onto itself. That was a lucky catch.

·
Registered
226 Posts
take 2 cans of corn w/you when you go out there next. Pick your likely spot and broadcast the corn from the can in your area. Go fish for something else for a while. Come back, throw another handful of corn in the area from a distance - use the trolling motor when close. bait up w/corn - long limber rod, light line and a small hook and HOLD ON!!!!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll have to try the corn thing -- I have only caught two in my life, one on a piece of hot dog, and one on a piece of catfish blood bait. I always thought catching them was purely accidental for some reason. They sure are a lot of fun when you get a good sized one on the line!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the info and tips. I will have to try the corn real soon.

headshaker - how do you go about fly fishing for them?

Thanks,

BlueWater

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
there are two ways to fish for carp in EF
sight fishing with dry flies when they are on the surface, a big adams, a stimi, or last year they were all about the cicadas, mullberry flies are awesome when they are near the surface

the other technique is sight fishing with subsurface flies:D small crayfish patterns, really anything small and ugly that doest sink to fast and look "buggy". put it within two feet of thier nose and bring a backup fly rod! they are a good fish to ..retire.. old and new rods.

or if you wanted I guess you could go chuck sweet corn at them, but there are some many on those flats why bother

·
Registered
98 Posts
take 2 cans of corn w/you when you go out there next. Pick your likely spot and broadcast the corn from the can in your area. Go fish for something else for a while. Come back, throw another handful of corn in the area from a distance - use the trolling motor when close. bait up w/corn - long limber rod, light line and a small hook and HOLD ON!!!!!!
Worked for us this morning. We fished in CC gorge - threw in a bunch of corn, waited a while, threw in another couple handfuls, put about 6 kernels on a 1/0 hook and left it on the bottom, and fished a bobber on the other pole. About 1/2 hour later, when we had all but forgotten the corn, a 21" carp grabbed the hook and took off, and the fight was on! Biggest fish my hubby has caught to date. Hopefully it got him a little more hooked on fishing

·
Registered
156 Posts
I catch them on 1.5" 16oz tube jig while fish for crappie... they don't fight very long... not mush fun ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I catch them on 1.5" 16oz tube jig while fish for crappie... they don't fight very long... not mush fun ?
If that's the case they probably don't even know they're hooked. Either that or you really DO catch some huge crappie and are spoiled rotten.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts