how 'bout them cicadas?

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tall cool one, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

I know they're out,was down at the OR last week and they were buzzin everywhere but saw no action on the OR that was focused on them. Anyone been seeing any topwater action anywhere over the cicadas being around and on the water?TC1

2. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

saw same thing at cowan sunday

cicadas buzzing on the water drawing no fish

3. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I was at Cowan today, but where I was the fish were killing them. I tied on a small black crankbait and was just twitching it and I caught 10 or so small crappie, 1 huge carp, and a yellow belly this way. Then I went back to bass fishing. The fish were crushing the cicadas in the morning(7-8:30). I plan on being back there tomorrow morining to get some more topwater action in. There is nothing like topwater carp!

4. sevenx

sevenx "I sat by the river" N.Mc

Maybe another week or so when the first round start falling, then it should pick up considerabley. As the die off continues it should provide alot great fishing. Pond with them around, tree lined banks, all the obvious place's they would fall. I hope the rivers and creeks come down before its all over. Like bassnpro1 said watching carp suck them off the surface and hooking to one is a blast. I have talked with guys that were catching cats on them consistantly last time around. They are getting thick all around me right now. Milford, Loveland, Maineville is really getting loud with there constant droan. S

5. Checked out LMR last night, there was a large muddy pool where a bend and fast water should be and even though the water was very muddy, lots of top water swirls and hits.
    Not sure it was cicadas, but I was mildly surprised to see so many top water swirls, I didn't bring any fishing gear expecting water to be unfishable. Shows what I know! ;)
    Where I was standing is usually a 6-8 foot drop off to the river bank, but water was flowing OVER the drop off, LMR was still ??? 5-7 high as of 8PM last night.
    LMJ

6. sevenx

LMJ, it is encouraging to here there was some activity. Listening to the Cicadas along the LMR it sounds like some sort of machine. Were they over there. I have heard there are really heavy in that area. (if you were where I am guessing) I guess its time to hit the high water spots and give it a try. At this point I just need to fish even its fishing the high water in the flooded trees. Try something like a mini torpedo or jitterbug in black next time, As always in fishing you just never know. S

7. Tall cool one

LMJ,not sure as I was'nt there to see it but if I'm thinking of where I think you were at based on your description that area is a favorite hangout for our favorite obsession,er,fish.. .any chance it coulda been them swirling on shad?Bass'npro,was cowan clear after that rain?TC1

8. cowan is up about a foot or two the water didnt look to bad fished it last night caught the hell out of the bluegill desent size

9. Tall cool one

those are exactly what I'm lookin for! Thnx!TC1

10. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

The lake looked good and I also found a cove that was stacked with good sized gils. Some around 9"( I didn't measure or keep any). They were feeding on the cicadas heavy in a cove that had the wind pushing the bugs into it.

11. What the deal with em, I havent seen any up this way at all. They just hanging out down south?

12. Last time the cicadas were here I recall Bass Pro had a top water bait that mimicked them (though I assume most topwaters that size will work).

13. yeah i was wondering the same thing? I've not seen any either. maybe they are just avoiding fairborn!

14. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

If your house/neighborhood is less than 12-15yrs old you may not have them due to construction when your house was built and tearing the ground up. This brood seems to be 15+ years old. None in my neighborhood but we have them 1 mile away in the older neighborhoods.

15. Tee

Tee Team OGF

At East Fork the cicadas are CRAZY loud. They are everywhere! The bluegill were tearing them up!

I have them at my house in Morrow pretty heavy. I haven't been down near the LMR but I'm assuming they are there as well.

I bet a dark topwater grasshopper REBEL from Wal-Mart would work.

Go get em guys!!

16. sevenx

They are all over around the lmr, the river is still high and muddy but the tribs are clearing and ponds and lakes with them near will have them. Small black baits like the grasshopper mention or crickets, jitterbugs, tiny torpedos and even buzz baits will draw them up. When the cicadas hit the water and try to escape the buzz all over the water so the the buzz bait should work as well. Paint a little orange on the bottem of black baits for effect. For flies use black poppers. black and orange poppers or deer hair divers in the appropriate size's. basically any thing that floats in those colors or stop by the shop (A&N) and pick up some of our own creations to match them. S I will try to get a pic up soon.

17. Saw a few cicada shells on the side of our house & garage in the past week. Nothing close to the 2003 event though. Will never forget that one.

18. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

This is from a site called http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/ More than you could possibly want to know about Cicadas. Basically, this is a different brood than in '03 - some overlap, but not all.

MC

Attached Files:

19. sevenx

Thanks for the link blueboat. I am going to try a pond down the road I have heard has lot of carp. Its really just a ditch but I will give it a shot and report back. By the way I had one land right on my chin if I would have my mouth open I would be able to tell you how they taste. Its almost enough to make me shave my goatee. S
    A quick add and old guy walking in front of the shop just had one bounce off of his face. pretty funny. S

20. Was out on East Fork all day on Sunday. Saw lots of Cicada's doing the back stroke, but the only thing I saw gobbling them up were carp. LOTS of carp action in the Lake... only caught two fish: one approx. 1.5 lb catfish on a spinner bait, and one 11" black bass on a buzz bait. Pretty tough day on the lake.

On a different note... I'm new to this board, and am looking forward to hearing where in the world to fish for BASS around SW Ohio. I'm a transplant from West Virginia, and finally got out on the lake for the first time this year. Either there weren't too many hungry bass in East Fork Lake yesterday, or the bass don't speak W.V. redneck and I was throwin' the wrong stuff at them. :)