close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How 'bout them Buckeyes?

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Onion, Sep 26, 2005.

1. I have to admit, I was cracking on Smith pretty bad last week but he has changed my mind. The offense looked much sharper this week against a defense that was supposed to be pretty darn good. He did do a better job at going through his progessions (according to Tressel) but still needs to do better. His double threat had the Iowa defense running in circles.

I am very excited to see Pittman running like an OSU tailback should, hard through the middle and running over people and through tackles. The O-line did a great job!

Not much to say about the defense, they are as dominant a defense as I can remember. Hawk is absolutely unbelievable.

With Purdue getting beat, Meatchicken getting exposed as a fraud and us beating Iowa the Buckeyes' fate is in their hands, just like I like it.

2. I agree that the defense is just awesome and by the time this season is done many may be labeling them as the best OSU defense ever.

The offense was very physical and that is nice to see. It is still early and Iowa's schedule has not really proven yet how tough they really are. But having a rushing game again is a very welcome site. It has been a long time since they have had a rushing attack in a big ten confrontation.

A couple of things that left me wondering though following the game. Where is Ted Ginn in the schemes when they supposedly were going to find ways to make him more effective? Why did they not give Zwick a chance to run the offense in the similar situation that Smith had? Leaving all of the stats padding to Smith does not help Zwick develop. It only serves to quiet the QB "controversy" that once existed. I am not disproving how Smith. His numbers were very solid. However, so were the rest of the offense and I really don't think that it was all a result of him playing that much better than last week. But let's not forget the fact that he put the ball on the ground 4 times with fumbles. I hope he sent out plenty of thank-you's for saving his hind end with recoveries.;) In a tight game those plays will kill a team.

Overall though it was a super performance and a great start to the Big 10 season. Let's keep the ball rolling.

3. Fishing-Miller23

Fishing-Miller23 It's Miller Time!

I told everyone Smith was good, and it would take a while for him to snap out of it.

No doubt about Hawk. That gut is a beast. He has my vote for Heisman. :D

4. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

they sure looked good except for one major problem.
    you can't fumble the ball that many times and continue to win.it'll catch up with them in the long run.
    tressel needs to buy them a few cases of stickum spray!!

5. If Hawk doesnt get the Heisman somethings wrong. Hes a true hardnose, but calm player.The kid loves to hit!!! Hes near or in every single play!!I would say hes better than Speilman was.Glenn

6. I can not imagine Hawk getting the Heisman although I do feel he is worthy of it. They just simply do not like giving it to defensive players.

Although that would be pretty sweet to see A.J. saving Archie's label as the only two time Heisman winner by edging out Leinart.;)

7. It's a nice thought, but it ain't going to happen. Woodson won because he also produced points via the kicking game and fumble/interception returns, not necessarily just as a defensive player. Hawk would have to do something incredible week after week to have any chance. If he scored some TD's and had 20+ sacks, maybe.

Smith looked very good, save for the fumbles. It's amazing to me that he continues to play when he screws up and if Zwick does it, everyone wants him benched. It a definite double standard. Make excuses for one, and not the other. Everyone says, well he is rusty because he hasn't played since last November. Whose fault is that? His own. If Tressel had any nuggets he would have kicked him off the team on the second incident. But the pipeline from Glenville must be too great to have any, ethics.

Zwick will still be a better pro QB in the long run. He reads defenses better, and has a better arm. Smith is not Mike Vick, and never will be. Plus, NFL teams do not want to see their 4 million dollar QB running around like a chicken with their head cut off. Too great a chance they'll be seriously injured and lost for the season.

Eric

8. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Do you think our best qb is still 3rd string?

9. I can't wait to see them beat penn st. in two weeks. I really think the bucks should be 4-0 right now. I think smith is good for movin the ball down field. But zwick is the better passer. All I now is it don't matter who is QB when you run the ball like we did last week. Man I have waited a long time to see that. Thats the OSU I love, run the ball down their necks!

10. I don't think so. However, we will never know the answer to that one.;)

I heard the saying one time, "The most popular player on the football team is always the backup QB." Many times that saying holds true.

11. Well said! That is my view on it as well. I hadn't given the Glenville pipeline theory much thought. You may have something there.

12. Fishing-Miller23

Fishing-Miller23 It's Miller Time!

I know he probably isn't going to get it, I was just joking, but he does deserve it.

13. Here is a pretty interesting list of defensive player Heisman candidates over the history of the award.
    Hopefully that came through. If not try this link.

You can see that very rarely has anyone even some close. As some mentioned Woodson was a return man and also some receiver duty.

14. Billybob,

I totally agree with you about the running game. It looked good against Texas as well. I know Pittman finished with 17 carries and 75 yards, but his last two carries were for zero yards.

Had you told me that he would have had a 5 yard average (15 carries, 75 yards) during the game against Texas..........I would have told you I would have given him the ball more. He wants the ball!!!!! Give it to him. He'd have carried it 25 or 30 times against Texas if I were calling the plays. He is from Texas and wanted to show them he made the right choice in coming to OSU. He showed the same thing last week against Iowa.........he just got more carries. Unfortunately, Smith hogged the limelight by not pitching to him near the goalline.

Boeckman does look like he has all the tools. They seem to get QB's to come here at will. They just need to get more OL and RB to really put together a run of good recruiting seasons.

Eric

Eric