close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How big does it need to be?

Discussion in 'Panfish Discussions' started by RWBlue, May 14, 2005.

1. Newbie question
    How big :B does it need to be to be worth while?

I kept and filleted a few fish I caught the other day. At the end, I questioned if they were large enough to be worth while. I wonder if I should have thrown a few of them back.

2. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

if I can get a filet off of them, then it's worth it to me, I know my limitations and I don't waste fish. If you feel guity, then they are too small.

3. I use to fish a pond that the lady told us to fish fro bass we had to catch and toss out 20 gills each trip... I did not want to toss them on the bank so I cleaned some really small gills... If you need them and can clean the small ones then your good to go...

4. gonefishin'

gonefishin' Lifestyle Farmer

That's something your experience and tolerence for a nasty job will tell you. I've cleaned 6 inch gills and gotten fillets. I prefer 8 inch + but sometimes they swallow the hook and you have no choice. One thing is for sure, if you take the time they are great eating.

5. In that case I don’t feel to bad. All the fish I attempted to fillet were 8 inches or better.

I just suck at filleting. The same thing goes for cleaning rabbits and squirrels. I am much better with deer. I guess I need more practice, or bigger fish.

6. Wish I could help you with the fish but you need to see me or anyone in action to get it... also your knife must be sharp or use an electric knife...
    Rabbits are too easy gezzzzzzzzzzzzus just pull off the skin after cutting around the legs then cut off the legs and head rince in water soak overnight in fridge in bowl with water and salt... done
    here is a little video from a member here on how to do tree rats:
    http://members.localnet.com/~nickdd/Mr.SQUACKS_0001.wmv

7. I also don't like to fillet too small of gills. I go with gills anywhere from 7 inches and bigger, unless they swallow it.

8. It depends on how good you are with a knife, how big a fish you are catching and mostly how bad you want a fish fry!:D I have kept and cleaned some small ones, like Clyde said I was fishing a pond the guy wanted the bluegill thinned out and asked that we toss them on the bank for the coons. I thought "feed the coond" :eek: I'll feed myself first.

9. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Hey Clyde, that video makes me hungry..... :D
    I'm glad I wasn't eating my oatmeal yet.