Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ohio State Alumni 05'
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know we have some avid birders on here, but I wanted to show you all why invasive species are bad for our wildlife. I have trapped many an English sparrow as they are not protected by law. They are a nuisance and just plain mean. At some point today, 1 or 2 male house sparrows went bananas. The red thing on the female bluebird is her skull after being bludgeoned to death. I systematically eradicate male sparrows from February through April to give the bluebirds a chance, but dang, this one sucks. Largest nest we've had in the 4 years at this home, decimated.

Natural material Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover Terrestrial animal

·
Ohio State Alumni 05'
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do sparrows target bluebirds or was this just an isolated case? Did not know a smaller sparrow could kill a larger bluebird.
It's well documented that house sparrows will demolish nests, kill bluebirds and their babies. There are MANY types of sparrows, these are English sparrows specifically. Chipping sparrows, song sparrows, white crowned, etc. are very much protected under federal law. I'll find a pic tomorrow morning of the nuisance bird. They are relentless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts