Hot peppers

Discussion in 'OGF Kitchen' started by rattletraprex, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Have a bumper crop of peppers this year and wondered what everyone did with theirs. Have banana,jalapino,hot wax,cayenne and some sort of long chilli or salsa pepper,I know it's hot! Cayenne like to dry and grind for devil dust. Jalapino stuff with cream cheese. Hot wax are good stuffed with a mixture of burger and sausage. Plus the is always pepper butter and use them in everything like chilli,fried with some onions or with anything really. Never had much luck freezing them so tips there would be a help. I love growing season,it's been a good year for my garden.

2. You could try dehydrating them, i've done it in the past and they keep pretty well like that. Using them is as simple as rehydrating them just like you would sun dried tomatoes.

Another way would be canning them, I have a friend that does them for me as long as I give him half of them but i'm pretty sure he uses a recipe that he got from www.homecanning.com .

Hope this helped a bit, i've been packaging up tomatoes for freezing for 3-4 hours every night for the past week or so, so if anyone near Berea needs any tomatoes send me a pm.

3. I second the dehydrating for cayenne. I cut a slit down the side, and dry them. They keep well, and i can pull them as I need them. I store them in the freezer to keep them nice and dry. The jalapenos will dry, but there is a lot more water in them.

You can also blend them with enough white vinegar (and other spices) to liquify them into your own hot sauce. I like to add onion, garlic.

You can smoke them too. Homemade chipotle!

4. Dry them in a warm oven or a food dehydrator and then powdder them with a coffee or spice grinder.

Sprinkle some jalapeno powder in a bag of chips, pretty tasty. I have made a vinegar and sugar syrup and add sliced chilies or you can use vinegar and canning salt. Keep in your fridge and they last quite a long time. The sugar mix is great on a cracker with some cream cheese.

Make some jelly with the jalapenos, great on grilled chicken.

5. pickle them, particularly the milder ones. If you shred them or just chop them fine first they make a great relish. Try this instead of tarter sauce the next time you have fried fish, or use it in your tarter sauce instead of pickle relish. Ads a nice bite to "another boring lunch meat sandwich" too.....

The pickle recipes are simple just vinegar, salt, sugar, and prefered seasonings if any. You can easily make refigerator pickles or process the jars to keep longer.

6. I pickle the hot banana peppers the same as boss said. I use the slicer attachment on a food processor and also add about 1/4 by volume of onion and can them using the water bath method. It makes the best relish ever for pizza, subs, sandwiches.

7. Smoke the peppers, let cool, place in freezer bags, suck the air out of the bag, freeze them. A quick thaw for a great addition to a fresh salsa or chili during the winter.

8. The cayennes are by far the easiest to dry if you choose to do so. I did mine by simply tossing them in a onion sack. They dry through completely. And as someone mentioned they work well to toss in dry and let them rehydrate. I pickle a lot of my jalapenos in pint jars. I use smaller jars because the rest of my family is not as fond of them that way as I am. I also pickled some sweet bananas by themselves to keep the wife happy. She doesn't like peppers with a kick. A couple of nights ago I finished my first batch of salsa for the season which uses up a lot of the peppers. I love doing the salsa as I use it in a lot of ways. We use it as straight salsa dip or for recipes. I like using it to make chili. It makes awesome chili and it is so easy to do using the salsa. Simply brown the meat and drain. Then add salsa and tomato juice and/or paste depending on consistency and chili powder and black pepper and you are good to go. I can my tomato juice as well so I usually make mine with a quart of salsa and a quart of tomato juice. My salsa has plenty of onion, garlic and peppers to give the flavor.

The batch that I made the other night turned out awesome. I had very few mild peppers available at the time so I turned up the heat a bit in this one. It was made with jalapenos, hot wax, and red hot chilis with only a few bells and anchos. We go through a lot of salsa so I will be doing a couple more batches. I only got 12 quarts in the first batch as the tomatoes are slow to ripen. However with 16 tomato plants I will soon be swimming in tomatoes.:D

I dried and ground some jalapenos and cayennes one season. That works well but at least for me they last forever. I still have some of them in the cupboard so that is not something I will need to do very often.

After I have exhausted all of these options I then resort to taking bags full of the to work for people to help themselves. In all I think I have somewhere between 25-30 pepper plants (6 varieties).

9. Some good ideas here,will try some of them. Took some up to Waves the other night and stuffed them and hope he remembered to put them in the crock pot this morning! I'm moving at the end of the month over the garden so don't know how much produce I'll get before that but I can do a night recon! Have a lot of work and money in it and it turned out great. I did find a place where I can have My own garden. Have 24 tomato plants and at least 30 different kinds of peppers plus corn, cucs, brussel sprouts, beans, broccoli, onions and sun flowers. Sure need some rain but that doesn't look promising.

10. Smoked my second batch for this fall's salsa. As mentioned in an earlier post, smoke, cool, pack in freezer bags, eliminate extra air in bag, freeze. Once thawed, the skins come right off if desired.

[​IMG]

Towards the end of the smoke (225 degrees or so), I added some walleye fillets that were soaked for an hour in a mixture of white wine, a bit of soy sauce, lemon, and a bit of Cajun spice. Didn't take long for the walleye fillets (no skin) to cook to a perfect flaky but not dry result. A small smoke ring with the sweet alderwood & a bit of hickory flavor. The result...

[​IMG]

This is why I like to preserve the peppers smoked. The last batch of the fall will be used fresh. Even bell peppers can be smoked - they just take a bit longer.

11. That looks delicious Steel! I tried grilling a few of the jalapenos last year but was not real satisfied with the result. I don't have a smoker so it was just grilling. I may try a few again soon. What all kind of peppers do you have on there? It looks like a real assortment.

12. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I give away all the excess tomatos, peppers, cucumbers, squash....everything to the neighbors first then coworkers at work. Usually about 3-5 bushels a week of assorted stuff comes to work with me.
    I keep all silver queen corn. What we cannot eat goes to chumming my carp spots 2-3 times a week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Lewzer, you must be getting a lot more rain than we are or you are doing a major amount of watering. Our cukes dried up a couple of weeks ago. The tomatoes are coming but don't look that good and not nearly that plentiful. We have not had a measurable amount of rain at our place in well over a month. I have mowed the lawn once 3 weeks ago and about mid-July prior to that. :( I have been watering my plants to keep them going but they are still not producing like they should.

However, I did make my second batch of salsa yesterday. The peppers like this weather and have continued to grow pretty well.

14. Hard to smoke on the grill due to keeping the low temperature and keeping the fuel (soaked wood) to a good level without losing the smoke and built up temp when the lid is opened.

A full rack below the top one was full of jalapenos. The top rack was a mix of peppers - mostly mild or no heat except for the cherry hots. The mild peppers go in a smoked mild salsa and/or mild chili. I smoke most thick-walled peppers that I grow = bells, hot block, jalapenos, serranos, red habaneros, italian grilling peppers. The thinner peppers like cayennes don't seem to smoke as well. They were distrubuted better but pushed them out of the way to make room for the walleye. The fish was smoked for about 20-25 minutes.

15. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Brian, Those pics were from 2005 that were in my gallery. I haven't been able to upload pictures for most of this year.
    Very little rain up here in Green too. Our cucumbers have dried up and are no longer producing either. Peas and blue lake/string beans are long over too.
    Tomatos are doing great. Froze about 8 qts of sauce this past weekend and will start cooking another 8 qts tonight. We have only 75 tomatos plants of 5 varieties this year. Usually have 100 tomato plants.
    Peppers have been excellent all year.
    Potatos are still growing and having died back yet. Eggplant and the silver queen corn are thriving.
    Chummed another gallon of corn in my favorite creeks last night.
    Lima beans are ready for picking and freezing.
    Squash and zucchini are producing great as always.
    Funny thing is I don't eat hardly any plant matter. Only thing I eat out of the garden is fresh corn and my tomato sauce. I just like growing things.

16. 75-100 tomato plants!!!:eek: How cow that is a lot of tomatoes!! I only have about 16 plants and it will be more than we use. I have already made 26 quarts of salsa. I will probably be canning more juice soon. I think I probably had around 30-40 quarts of juice and canned tomatoes last year. I still have a few of them so I will back off some this year. I did around 35 quarts of salsa. Even after all of that I still had tomatoes left over. I can't imagine what I would get from 100 plants.:eek:

My wife always says she don't know why I do as much as I do. I am like you. I like growing the stuff anyway. I also end up taking stuff to work to give away as well.

17. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Sure is a lot of tomatos. Now's the time to stock the freezer with tomato sauce and Lake Erie perch!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]