close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hot crappie bite this morning

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Grumpy, May 22, 2007.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy Certified Old Geezer

Hit Hoover this morning. Between 8:45 and 9:45 I could not keep the crappie off the hook. Fish were running 9 to 11 1/2 in. At about 10:00 the bite slowed down and went dead at about 10:30. They were hitting live minnows, dead minnows, and chewed up minnows. Minnows were being fished under a float at about 18 in.

2. Got there about 10:00 am and caught steadily on Hares Ear Nymohs, wading along the submerged brush with the 3wt.

Probably nabbed about 50 or so 9-11". When I got in, they were DEEP in the brush, deep, deep in.

Never casted more than 20 feet but had to really bushwhack it back to where they were holed up...found the same to be true in 3 different spots...probably no way to get them from a boat the way I found 'em.

Find the scrappiest, twiggiest looking submerged brush on the shady side and that's where they were.

Only two tiny Bluegills, surprised, I was hoping to get into some in that brush...I wonder where they are?

3. bassinLou

bassinLou Jiggin w/ a Crappie killa

Roughly where abouts were you guys located at Hoover? What part of the lake?? Other than minnows are they biting any thing else??

4. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you don't need minnies to catch crappies now;)
    toad and i hit the same the same area as grumpy.didn't get there till about 2 cause we were busy netting shad for future cat trips.bite was slow to start,but got better.caught lots of fish,but most were under 10 with a few over that.not what i'm used to in that area:(
    all but a few were caught on roadrunners.the others came on jig/tube.bought 2 dozen minnies and nebver opened the bucket,LOL.
    we did break them out later in the day and trolled roadrunners with them,for saugyes.picked up two eyes.
    crappies were caught in north end brush/trees.

5. starcraft

starcraft Sponser MHS

This the same area we all know very well??? Thinking about changing location agian but if the fish are still there never leave fish to find fish.:D Last time out i fished the middle caught less fish but they were running larger then north.