close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Horsepower limits and electric only

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by saltwater, May 14, 2004.

1. If you are over the HP limit or the lake is electric only, can you go on them if you leave your engine up and just use the trolling motor??? I haven't seen a DNR to ask the horses mouth so to speak.

Saltwater

2. The answer to your question is YES! :)

I've done both in Central & SW Ohio. Most places allow you to use your motor to trailer your boat also, but you may want to check that out @ your local lakes. I know the rangers @ Cowan Lake (10HP limit) do NOT have a problem with this practice.

3. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

Make that a qualified yes. On hp limited lakes, raising your main motor is fine. On electric only lakes (the ones I'm semi-familiar with) you cannot have a gas motor on the boat, period.

4. On Magadore Lake, you can not have a gas motor on or in the boat at all.
    Over at Spencer, Wellington, Findley State Parks(Lorain) it is fine to do so.
    Try to call ahead if you can to check them out.

5. Nimisila I pretty sure you just have to trim up the gas. See bass boats all the time just using the electric.

6. At LaDue you cannot have a gas motor on at all, even though the DNR guys use 20 horse motors there. :rolleyes: Regulations are usually posted at the ramps, I think. It just depends on the lake most of the time.
    LaDo

7. I fish nimi a lot, and just trim the gas motor up and I've never had a problem. I have not fished these other lakes yet, but I will be soon. I called the DNR last year, and I couldn't believe they call themselves an organization of any sort... anyway, I talked to several people from different posts, and they either said "they didn't know" or to trim the motor up and disconnect the gas.... So, I'm planning on going to Mogadore in the next week or two, and plan on repeating what I heard if I get stopped. If I do get any guff... I'll post it....

~S

8. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

The electric only lakes that were owned by Akron are the only ones I know of that you can not have a gas motor on at all. All the other in NE Ohio you can. I know at Nimi some rangers don't care if you load the boat with the gas motor, but if you get the wrong one you will get ticketed. I have heard of other electric only lakes you can use the gas motor to load but you will be ticketed if you gun the motor to get it all the way on the trailer.

9. Nimisila = trim the motor

Mogadore, Ladue, East Branch = no gas motors or tanks on the boat.

Those are Akron watershed lakes and no gas allowed, motors or tanks.

Heading to Nimisila this afternoon. Later fellas.

Carl

10. Deer Creek Resevoir over by Berlin lake you can just trim up the gas motor and use the electric only.

11. Ducknut

Ducknut Duck Enemy #1

I have heard differently about trimming on Deer Creek, but my source is not necessarily reliable.

12. I'm talking about Deer creek resevoir by Berlin Lake. I've fished that for years and just put up my big motor and use trolling motor only. I've talked and seen the Stark County parks people that manage it and they've never said a word. I see others do the same thing! Great lake at times to fish and never crowded.

13. My boat has a built in gas tank. I don't even know how I would go about getting it out. The motor is off the boat when I go to Mogadore, eBranch, and Ladue. I wonder if they can still ticket me? That would be very harsh.

14. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i've never seen anyone actually checked for the gas tank, but i assume if it was empty and you showed them that it doesn't come off upon inspection, they should be pretty lienient, but nothing is for sure.