Horse camping at the Flying W

Discussion in 'The Camp Fire' started by steely123, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Anyone ever been out there at the Flying W next to the Allegheny national forest ?.....going in a few weeks....just wondering what it's like, terrain, etc...

steely123

2. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

Hey Steely, never been there before but did go with one of my daughters to a ranch in the Cooks Forest area. Terrain was very hilly, rough, and VERY rocky, but it was a very good time and they had pretty good animals. I would NOT take my horses there, Cooks Forest, as their feet have never seen rocks like that and it could be a disaster for them. Have no idea if it is that way there at Flying W. Please let me know how your trip goes, I'd like to find another place here in the east to take the same daughter for overnight trips.

3. I have a cabin near the Flying W. We are out in that area all the time. The terrain is a lot like southern ohio. I have never been on the W grounds, but I always hear great things about the place.
    ski

4. I will post how it goes.....we have been down to Beaver Creek last year and our horses did pretty well.....we excersized them over at West Branch leading up to it and are doing the same this year...my Appy has pretty good feet so I'm hoping the rocks won't be too bad or be a problem....we are doing the primitive, using our own Tie line, taking water, etc....
    I'm pretty stoked...should be fun....horses....camp fire...
    beer.... :p
    I am taking a telescoping rod w/ me, and hope to fish the Tionesta(sp?) river ?....the folks we are going w/ say there are trout (rains/browns) ?...
    would love to hook up.....

Then we hope to camp again down at Beaver Creek at the horse camp...I really liked that last yr and the scenery was very nice....plenty of room to ride without it getting too crowded on the trail....

later...
    steely123

5. The Flying W was great. Easy to very challenging trails....walks through the Allegheny river etc...got a photo of a baby porcupine in a tree...that was cool !...

Cannot wait to go back next year..!....

Will probably finish out the summer/fall horsecamping between Beaver Creek a few times and of course the home turf of West Branch.....May try to get down to Salt Fork for weekend too....

steely123